Amazon.com

5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

The process took two weeks. A recruiter contacted me and sent me an online assessment. There was 2 coding questions. They were easy. Also there was about 20 MCQ analytical thinking. They were very similar to question in SAT/GRE.
    They contacted me after 10 days that they chose other candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview is quite formal compare to standard company. I got a phone call at the first place then I got a email for interview invitation. All the questions they asked are quite fair as well, if you prepared for algorithm questions you get learned in University/College. Amazon employee will interview you use an online team programming tool, that does sync with people who invited with the link, it is quite easy to use. I did not end up to get an offer, but it is an good experience overall :)

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

They attended a local career fair at my university - I handed them my resume and was asked to apply online with a certain code for SDE Interns. I applied and received a call scheduled for the next following day to interview. Interviewed, and got the email offer within 4 days.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical codeable question for an undergrad - something you would get from cracking the coding interview. Only one question was asked - I then chatted with both interviewers for 45 minutes each separately for two back-to-back interviews.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone interviews back to back

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Asked for a 90 minute phone interview after finding my resume online.

The call followed the pattern described by others here. There were several technical questions of medium difficulty. I was asked to write code for one in the language of my choice using a shared web page.

There was also a general discussion of an OO modelling problem.

There were no surprises or gotchas. The interviewer was not trying to be tricky. It was like an discussion you
    might have at work about solving any problem.

Interview Questions
    • The technical problems were of medium difficulty and not unsolvable. Just designed to show that you know how to think about software problems.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Two phone calls covering the following:
    Phone call 1-
    a. Write a function to remove the nth last element from a singly linked list
    b. Edge cases
    c. Tests for that function
    d. Input and output validation using status codes
    e. API design considerations and error handling for the function

Phone call 2-
    a. Functions to reverse a linked list recursively and then iteratively
    b. Determine if two strings are anagrams, various approaches, space and time complexity
    c. Given two singly linked list heads, determine if they are merged
    d. Find the merge point of the two lists
    e. Test the merge/intersect function, consider edge cases
    f. Space and time complexity for all algorithms and data structures questions

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected- Recruiter was difficult to reach and had about <12hrs warning before scheduling interview. The actual interviews went well- the engineers were easy to talk to and walked through the problem solving.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Received an email from recruiter to set up time of interview. An hour long phone interview recommended to not be driving and make sure your phone has enough charge for long interview. Two developers on the call. Asked about previous experience, basic object oriented programming questions followed by online programming test.

Interview Questions
    • Give the Big-O for the given data structures and their usages in particular scenarios.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I applied through Linkedin for the position of Senior Product Manager (AWS Mobile services). I received a screening phone call from the HR who referred me to the Product Director. During the call, I was asked many questions about my previous work experience. More questions about products that I like (IT or otherwise) and why. Customer orientation is a key during all interviews.
    I was then referred to a product manager for a second interview. If you are not familiar with Case interviews, you should read "Case in Point". The interviewer asked about whether to invest in a service or discontinue it. The key is to show the line of though rather than an exact answer.
    A third interview was set with another product manager. This time it was more specific about AWS products and what can be added to the line of products they offer and why. Another case was then brought forward "If you were to launch a back up cloud service, would you approve?"
    I did not reach the next step of the interview process as I stumbled in my answer.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview consisted of two phone-screens followed by a trip to Amazon's headquarters in Seattle. In Seattle, I interviewed with 5 or 6 different people, including my potential manager (over lunch) and one other team member. The rest of the interviews were with developers/dev managers from other teams at Amazon. Every interview was about an hour in length, and with the exception of the lunch interview were very technical, with lots of whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
    • None of the technical questions were standard CS questions - but they weren't that far off. There were list, graph, and other algorithm questions, but they were given in the context of an actual use case at Amazon, and then you needed to figure out what algorithm to use. For instance, I got the "How do you tell if a directed graph has a cycle?" question, but in the context of an Amazon use case.

That said, it might just be those set of Amazon reviewers - I have done Amazon interviews in the past for an intern position, where off-the-shelf questions with no Amazon veneer were used.
        View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in February 2014.

2 45 minutes back-to-back interviews

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a specific problem you've met doing your project, and how you handled it.   Answer Question