Amazon.com

Updated 15 Dec, 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Applied through the school co-op application system. Went through two out of three rounds of phone interviews before accepting an offer somewhere else. Both involved coding questions, the first was over the phone while the second was on seemikecode.com.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through University Career Fair. Process took 2 days. First day was a 1-1 screening interview based on which received call for 2nd round for the next day. 2nd round was 3 1-1 interviews, each for 1 hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I just had the first round phone interview. It was 60 minutes. The interviewer asked about general information on the resume, followed about two data structure questions, and two coding questions. There was no tricky questions.

Interview Questions
    • Two coding questions, one binary search tree, and one depth first search. I was asked to think about alternative ways to solve the second questions.   Answer Question

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I applied through my university's job board and was contacted by HR within a 3 days.

Screening: The interview was conducted over the phone in a very casual manner. I was asked about my educational background and tested with a simple math flow question. Mainly, the interview was to inform me of what the position is about. Once you have confirmed to the interviewer that you want to proceed with the hiring processes, an on-site interview was acknowledged.

The HR gave a few time slot options for the on-site interview and once accepted, study documents regarding the position is given. All travel bookings are taken care of by Amazon which was really awesome. My travelling situation was slightly different and the HR was very acceptive of the situation and gave be a step-by-step instruction in how to reimburse my expenses particularly.

On-Site Interview: The on-site interview consists of 4 rounds of 30 minute one-on-one interviews. The interviewers consists of a local HR, 2 facility managers, and a regional manager. The order of the interviews are different since 4 candidates are rotated through the 4 interviewers. The questions are all behavioural/informative, but they can be difficult since some are extremely specific. One of the interviews is the math portion. All 4 candidates are given some time at the beginning of the process to work out a simple math flow question. During the interview, the candidates are asked to explain how did they arrive at the answers. Usually the initial question is simple and shouldn't cause anyone troubles. However, right after the steps are explained, the interviewer will change up the situation slightly to see how well one can think on his/her feet. This part gave me some trouble since I wasn't too familiar with how scheduling works and mainly I think I was just too nervous. If you are familiar with manufacturing plant scheduling and the concept of work time then it should be a breeze.

Roughly a week later, the HR called to inform me that I was not selected for the job.

The HR REALLY takes care of you. He brought snacks and drinks for us to the on-site interviews because he knew that the process involves a lot of talking. Also, the fact that he called personally to inform me of their decision shows how professional Amazon is. I have had too many so-called large companies leaving me hanging after interviews, so it is really nice for a change.

Interview Questions
    • Due to a confidential agreement that I have signed, I cannot disclose exactly what the questions are. All I can say is that make sure you can do simple rate questions (i.e. km/h, mpg, calls/min) and bring a calculator to the interview.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

The process took two weeks. A recruiter contacted me and sent me an online assessment. There was 2 coding questions. They were easy. Also there was about 20 MCQ analytical thinking. They were very similar to question in SAT/GRE.
    They contacted me after 10 days that they chose other candidates.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview is quite formal compare to standard company. I got a phone call at the first place then I got a email for interview invitation. All the questions they asked are quite fair as well, if you prepared for algorithm questions you get learned in University/College. Amazon employee will interview you use an online team programming tool, that does sync with people who invited with the link, it is quite easy to use. I did not end up to get an offer, but it is an good experience overall :)

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

They attended a local career fair at my university - I handed them my resume and was asked to apply online with a certain code for SDE Interns. I applied and received a call scheduled for the next following day to interview. Interviewed, and got the email offer within 4 days.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical codeable question for an undergrad - something you would get from cracking the coding interview. Only one question was asked - I then chatted with both interviewers for 45 minutes each separately for two back-to-back interviews.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone interviews back to back

Software Development Engineer II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Asked for a 90 minute phone interview after finding my resume online.

The call followed the pattern described by others here. There were several technical questions of medium difficulty. I was asked to write code for one in the language of my choice using a shared web page.

There was also a general discussion of an OO modelling problem.

There were no surprises or gotchas. The interviewer was not trying to be tricky. It was like an discussion you
    might have at work about solving any problem.

Interview Questions
    • The technical problems were of medium difficulty and not unsolvable. Just designed to show that you know how to think about software problems.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Received an email from recruiter to set up time of interview. An hour long phone interview recommended to not be driving and make sure your phone has enough charge for long interview. Two developers on the call. Asked about previous experience, basic object oriented programming questions followed by online programming test.

Interview Questions
    • Give the Big-O for the given data structures and their usages in particular scenarios.   Answer Question