Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 20 Oct, 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

My overall experience was just /ok/. I did not find out until I was in the fourth interview with the manager of the group that this role was not what I was applying for. The recruiter was excellent and helped me navigate a lot of detail around moving to the US, taxation, health care and so on. I was provided with a lot of documentation on these things before the first technical interview. The first two technical interviews were very straight forward but they were definitely a cold experience. They seemed quite bored with the process and just read off a list of questions and I answered them, sometimes with required code samples which were done on a website with a shared text editor.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I applied online in June 2014, and got a phone call interview with HR person 1. Phone call interview was about data-structures, sorting algorithms, and OOP. I had 2 questions to code on collabedit. Interviewer was nice and he was giving me constant hints.

After a few days, I got a on-site interview email by another HR person 2 to arrange my interview with developers. Before by interview I was asked to do a preparatory call with the HR person 3. I was schedule a time for call with HR person 3. I never got a call at the allocated time slot. Later in the day, I received an email from HR Person 2 that I HR person 3 is unavailable and she will call you another time. I wasn't too impressed with this. I finally got another call from HR person 3 and she didnt seem much interested - she seemed like she wanted to hang up asap.

On-site interview had 4 back to back interviews with developers and managers, 45 mins each. Developers were nice. Managers not so much. Some behavioral questions.

Questions included: Merge two sorted lists, OOP of a website with videos and users uploading videos, Sort two arrays, HashMap run times, Linked List merge. I answered all the questions correctly(or it seemed). Developers and managers didnt give me any feedback or hints when I was working on the questions.

I waited a week to hear back from HR person 3. After a week, I emailed HR person 2, HR person 3 called me firstly apologizing that she wasn't able to get back to me earlier, and later she said that I was not selected, and I should keep applying for another team. I am not sure what that means. Will I even get selected again?

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I was given the choice of programming languages and asked to solve two questions. Both questions were based on data structures, linked lists and arrays. I messed up the linked list question and probably failed the interview because of it. The interviewer also asked me to check edge cases during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 linked lists ending in common tail – find the first node that they have in common   View Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

very fun and technical, hands on coding and back-to-back technical sessions

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was approached by the recruiter and was interviewed for Amazon Silk team. Phone interview was not hard. Had straight forward programming question. Went to on-site interviews in Seattle - had 4 interviews with different people. Again, nothing overcomplicated. All guys were really friendly. Overall interview experience was very positive. Response after interview came on the next business day that they decided not to move forward with an offer and I should try another position. Although their policy is not to give a specific feedback, I connected to the guy I had interview/lunch with and he told me that I'm too web-centric while they were looking for core back-end programming guys in their team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Signed NDA, so I'll not tell the specific questions. All questions were for basic usage of data structures. If you studied Computer Science and exercise to solve and code basic algorithm problems, you'll do well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Applied through Amazon website.
    A week later HR contacted to set up a 1 hour phone interview.

nterviewer asked to tell about my favorite course project and about my Co-Op Exp. Later asked to write a code in any interested language about how to find two numbers in an array whose sum is equal to a given number. Asked how I can improve it and what its Big O, is it going to compile

Interview Questions
    • Later asked about Virtual methods, polymorphism, its importance and use. Messed up the Polymorphism question. I think that is the reason for my rejection.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

They phoned me and I was in front of my computer because they required me to live code.
    Just live coding took all the time of the interview.

First question : Implement merge sort.
    Second question : Divide and conquer.

Q&A

We don't really re-invent the wheel or memorize information in detail because they are a few clicks a way, it doesn't look like effective measure to recruit talented people in anyway.

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Applied through the school co-op application system. Went through two out of three rounds of phone interviews before accepting an offer somewhere else. Both involved coding questions, the first was over the phone while the second was on seemikecode.com.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Applied through University Career Fair. Process took 2 days. First day was a 1-1 screening interview based on which received call for 2nd round for the next day. 2nd round was 3 1-1 interviews, each for 1 hour.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

I just had the first round phone interview. It was 60 minutes. The interviewer asked about general information on the resume, followed about two data structure questions, and two coding questions. There was no tricky questions.

Interview Questions
    • Two coding questions, one binary search tree, and one depth first search. I was asked to think about alternative ways to solve the second questions.   Answer Question