Amazon.com

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Software Development Engineer II
Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

Interview Details 60 minutes phone tech interviews. First question is a behavior one about risk management. something like describing a case when failure of a function caused loss of customer, and how did you handle it. Followed by a coding question: a parking lot has limited lots, different numbers and fees for small/medium/large sized cars, write a code to simulate the process of a car's entering and leaving.

Interview Question – The coding question.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details I was given the choice of programming languages and asked to solve two questions. Both questions were based on data structures, linked lists and arrays. I messed up the linked list question and probably failed the interview because of it. The interviewer also asked me to check edge cases during the interview.

Interview Question – Given 2 linked lists ending in common tail – find the first node that they have in common   View Answer

Vancouver, BC

I applied through another source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Received email scheduling telephone interview in about a week. Reviewed algorithms data structures etc. Purchased speaker phone. Telephone interview: amazons engineers were also using speaker-phone so there was an echo. Took my phone off speaker-phone and held it with my head against my shoulders while working on coding problem which was a fairly easy question about merging sorted lists. I botched it up. Ridiculous.

Interview Question – Something about merging sorted list.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details Received an email from recruiter to set up time of interview. An hour long phone interview recommended to not be driving and make sure your phone has enough charge for long interview. Two developers on the call. Asked about previous experience, basic object oriented programming questions followed by online programming test.

Interview Question – Give the Big-O for the given data structures and their usages in particular scenarios.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details very fun and technical, hands on coding and back-to-back technical sessions

Interview Question – distributed computing   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details I was approached by the recruiter and was interviewed for Amazon Silk team. Phone interview was not hard. Had straight forward programming question. Went to on-site interviews in Seattle - had 4 interviews with different people. Again, nothing overcomplicated. All guys were really friendly. Overall interview experience was very positive. Response after interview came on the next business day that they decided not to move forward with an offer and I should try another position. Although their policy is not to give a specific feedback, I connected to the guy I had interview/lunch with and he told me that I'm too web-centric while they were looking for core back-end programming guys in their team.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Signed NDA, so I'll not tell the specific questions. All questions were for basic usage of data structures. If you studied Computer Science and exercise to solve and code basic algorithm problems, you'll do well.   Answer Question

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details The process took two weeks. A recruiter contacted me and sent me an online assessment. There was 2 coding questions. They were easy. Also there was about 20 MCQ analytical thinking. They were very similar to question in SAT/GRE.
They contacted me after 10 days that they chose other candidates.

Interview Question – The analytical thinking questions were not easy.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer I Intern

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Applied through the school co-op application system. Went through two out of three rounds of phone interviews before accepting an offer somewhere else. Both involved coding questions, the first was over the phone while the second was on seemikecode.com.

Interview Question – Implement code to calculate the Fibonacci number.   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC

I interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details I just had the first round phone interview. It was 60 minutes. The interviewer asked about general information on the resume, followed about two data structure questions, and two coding questions. There was no tricky questions.

Interview Question – Two coding questions, one binary search tree, and one depth first search. I was asked to think about alternative ways to solve the second questions.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Software Development Engineer II

I applied through another source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Interview Details Asked for a 90 minute phone interview after finding my resume online.

The call followed the pattern described by others here. There were several technical questions of medium difficulty. I was asked to write code for one in the language of my choice using a shared web page.

There was also a general discussion of an OO modelling problem.

There were no surprises or gotchas. The interviewer was not trying to be tricky. It was like an discussion you
might have at work about solving any problem.

Interview Question – The technical problems were of medium difficulty and not unsolvable. Just designed to show that you know how to think about software problems.   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!