Amazon.com Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
Updated Aug 26, 2014
4,807 interviews

3.3

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

My overall experience was just /ok/. I did not find out until I was in the fourth interview with the manager of the group that this role was not what I was applying for. The recruiter was excellent and helped me navigate a lot of detail around moving to the US, taxation, health care and so on. I was provided with a lot of documentation on these things before the first technical interview. The first two technical interviews were very straight forward but they were definitely a cold experience. They seemed quite bored with the process and just read off a list of questions and I answered them, sometimes with required code samples which were done on a website with a shared text editor.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview is quite formal compare to standard company. I got a phone call at the first place then I got a email for interview invitation. All the questions they asked are quite fair as well, if you prepared for algorithm questions you get learned in University/College. Amazon employee will interview you use an online team programming tool, that does sync with people who invited with the link, it is quite easy to use. I did not end up to get an offer, but it is an good experience overall :)

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Applied through Amazon website.
    A week later HR contacted to set up a 1 hour phone interview.

nterviewer asked to tell about my favorite course project and about my Co-Op Exp. Later asked to write a code in any interested language about how to find two numbers in an array whose sum is equal to a given number. Asked how I can improve it and what its Big O, is it going to compile

Interview Questions
    • Later asked about Virtual methods, polymorphism, its importance and use. Messed up the Polymorphism question. I think that is the reason for my rejection.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Applied online and invited for phone interview. The interview started with an introduction and a programming question. The question was rather easy but challenging enough for a one-hour interview. Discussed the debugging and design process for the given solution. Overall, enjoyed the interview and got the result after few days.

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in November 2013.

60 minutes phone tech interviews. First question is a behavior one about risk management. something like describing a case when failure of a function caused loss of customer, and how did you handle it. Followed by a coding question: a parking lot has limited lots, different numbers and fees for small/medium/large sized cars, write a code to simulate the process of a car's entering and leaving.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I was given the choice of programming languages and asked to solve two questions. Both questions were based on data structures, linked lists and arrays. I messed up the linked list question and probably failed the interview because of it. The interviewer also asked me to check edge cases during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given 2 linked lists ending in common tail – find the first node that they have in common   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2013.

Applied online. Received email scheduling telephone interview in about a week. Reviewed algorithms data structures etc. Purchased speaker phone. Telephone interview: amazons engineers were also using speaker-phone so there was an echo. Took my phone off speaker-phone and held it with my head against my shoulders while working on coding problem which was a fairly easy question about merging sorted lists. I botched it up. Ridiculous.

Software Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in March 2014.

Received an email from recruiter to set up time of interview. An hour long phone interview recommended to not be driving and make sure your phone has enough charge for long interview. Two developers on the call. Asked about previous experience, basic object oriented programming questions followed by online programming test.

Interview Questions
    • Give the Big-O for the given data structures and their usages in particular scenarios.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

very fun and technical, hands on coding and back-to-back technical sessions

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com.

I was approached by the recruiter and was interviewed for Amazon Silk team. Phone interview was not hard. Had straight forward programming question. Went to on-site interviews in Seattle - had 4 interviews with different people. Again, nothing overcomplicated. All guys were really friendly. Overall interview experience was very positive. Response after interview came on the next business day that they decided not to move forward with an offer and I should try another position. Although their policy is not to give a specific feedback, I connected to the guy I had interview/lunch with and he told me that I'm too web-centric while they were looking for core back-end programming guys in their team.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Signed NDA, so I'll not tell the specific questions. All questions were for basic usage of data structures. If you studied Computer Science and exercise to solve and code basic algorithm problems, you'll do well.   Answer Question