Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct, 2014
5,000 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

One of my friends refers me. Then, I appeared two screening interviews. These interviews have algorithm, data structure, and design questions. After that, I appeared an onsite interview at Seattle.

Interview Questions
    • Among all the interviews, four of them have behavioral questions, like how to manage conflicts. Emphasis on these questions was unexpected.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Recruiter emails you with details on what to read up on and be prepared for for the interview. I had 2 in person interviews (45 minutes back to back). Each was a different technical question. Straight forward, a couple behavioural, past project questions from both interviewers. The interviewers try their best to leave the candidate with a good feeling (company policy), so it's hard to get an idea of where you stand or how you're doing at times.

Interview Questions
    • 2 linked lists share at least 1 common node. Find the first common node.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

The phone interview took almost an hour. The interviewer first asked some personal questions about why you choose Amazon etc. Then he asked some questions related to my previous experience. Then followed by a technical question that cost more than half an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Traverse a binary tree and print them by levels.   View Answer
    This is just a first level interview. There is a second one.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Amazon.com.

One screening interview and then 3 back to back technical interviews. The screening was done by a seemingly fresh developer who didn't understand some of my answers, so i had to give him another basic algorithm. The technical interviews discussed my resume (thank goodness somebody cares about prior experience), had a graph problem that is solved by BFS, and finally there was a question that was much more complicated than the person asking it realized. Overall, I was frustrated by the level of preparedness of my interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • A question about finding anomalies in a stream of data. I couldn't code an answer because I could think of so many ways the data stream can gradually deviate from its expected distribution. The interviewer ended up giving me the algorithm and I coded it then showed him how it is not a general solution. During my though process I asked for clarification question that he wasn't prepared to answer.   Answer Question
    They refused to negotiate at all, telling me that there is a standard offer. I could squeeze out some money for relocation.

Solution Architect Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone calls - this was the 2nd phone interview. It was more technical than then 1st one.
    what is soa
    java & c
    what does kernel do
    difference between java & C
    hypervisor
    dns
    router & switch
    what is content delivery network
    relational db pros cons
    worked with change cntrl software
    hadoop - explain mapreduce
    differene between oltp / dw
    tcp v/s udp explain

Software Engineer Interview

Amazon came to my university and interviewed many of us back to back in a reserved room. Had to sign NDA before interview. Was asked to introduce self, and went straight into algorithm questions given a piece of note paper to explain. Interview kept looking at phone, but explained he was checking the time.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Phone interview, then on-site interview. it was easy. I found it quite easy, understanding, helpful, legimate, not-forcefull, helped to releave. It could be more and more and more and even more effecient but it couldn't be more than ever in the field of the area without considering everything that they could offer to people who helped a lot on the field in the area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

Interview with payment team, after 2 phone interviews, Amazon invited me to Vancouver office with 4 interview. From 8am~12PM, there are 4 questions, 2 algorthm/coding questions, 2 OOD questions, the interviewers from different groups

Interview Questions
    • for the OOD questions, it is too brief to answer it, e.g. design a libaray managment system, just one sentence without any detail even you ask which functions should be consinder.   Answer Question

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter. I went through two 1-hour phone interviews and then went in for a full day interview session which starts with a 1-hour presentation and continues with 1 on 1 interviews the rest of the day. It was the most difficult interview process I had ever gone through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when two seemingly unrelated situations converged to create one larger problem on a project. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Amazon.com.

Was part of the final interview process. 5 interviewers, 4 technical interviews and one behavioral. 45-50 minutes per person. On the technical side was asked about prior experience as a "wram" up question then an algorithm. They covered all the standard data structures: Navigation in the binary tree, linked list, search in the graph, system design based on the hash table. Some of the guys seemed very relaxed and the process was sort of working session with a collegue and some of them were a bit distant, and it was a bit hard to read-up anything from them. I got a bit intimidated when I made couple of mistakes but overall process was ok. I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • System design of the complete online company. Didn't know how technical I should go, High level or go to specifics. I didn't read off the interviewer where to go - he just said "go ahead and just design away"   View Answers (2)