Amazon.com

Average Difficulty
4,685 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Amazon came to my university and interviewed many of us back to back in a reserved room. Had to sign NDA before interview. Was asked to introduce self, and went straight into algorithm questions given a piece of note paper to explain. Interview kept looking at phone, but explained he was checking the time.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details One screening interview and then 3 back to back technical interviews. The screening was done by a seemingly fresh developer who didn't understand some of my answers, so i had to give him another basic algorithm. The technical interviews discussed my resume (thank goodness somebody cares about prior experience), had a graph problem that is solved by BFS, and finally there was a question that was much more complicated than the person asking it realized. Overall, I was frustrated by the level of preparedness of my interviewers.

Interview Question – A question about finding anomalies in a stream of data. I couldn't code an answer because I could think of so many ways the data stream can gradually deviate from its expected distribution. The interviewer ended up giving me the algorithm and I coded it then showed him how it is not a general solution. During my though process I asked for clarification question that he wasn't prepared to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They refused to negotiate at all, telling me that there is a standard offer. I could squeeze out some money for relocation.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer

Interviewed at Amazon.com

Interview Details Phone interview, then on-site interview. it was easy. I found it quite easy, understanding, helpful, legimate, not-forcefull, helped to releave. It could be more and more and more and even more effecient but it couldn't be more than ever in the field of the area without considering everything that they could offer to people who helped a lot on the field in the area.

Interview Question – find the minimum value   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2010.

Interview Details Very good communication. Had interview at school's career centre.

Two interviewers in total, one person each time about 30~45 minutes. Both friendly and after some general questions the technical part started. First one is reversing a linked-list. The second person asks questions regarding multiple file's management and merging problems.

Got back after a weeks and rejected me.

Interview Question – Reverse the linked-list and check for edge cases   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details Was part of the final interview process. 5 interviewers, 4 technical interviews and one behavioral. 45-50 minutes per person. On the technical side was asked about prior experience as a "wram" up question then an algorithm. They covered all the standard data structures: Navigation in the binary tree, linked list, search in the graph, system design based on the hash table. Some of the guys seemed very relaxed and the process was sort of working session with a collegue and some of them were a bit distant, and it was a bit hard to read-up anything from them. I got a bit intimidated when I made couple of mistakes but overall process was ok. I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Question – System design of the complete online company. Didn't know how technical I should go, High level or go to specifics. I didn't read off the interviewer where to go - he just said "go ahead and just design away"   View Answers (2)

Vancouver, BC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in May 2014.

Interview Details They phoned me and I was in front of my computer because they required me to live code.
Just live coding took all the time of the interview.

First question : Implement merge sort.
Second question : Divide and conquer.

Q&A

We don't really re-invent the wheel or memorize information in detail because they are a few clicks a way, it doesn't look like effective measure to recruit talented people in anyway.

Interview Question – didn't expect that they would ask about merge sort.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer III/Senior Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Interview Details My overall experience was just /ok/. I did not find out until I was in the fourth interview with the manager of the group that this role was not what I was applying for. The recruiter was excellent and helped me navigate a lot of detail around moving to the US, taxation, health care and so on. I was provided with a lot of documentation on these things before the first technical interview. The first two technical interviews were very straight forward but they were definitely a cold experience. They seemed quite bored with the process and just read off a list of questions and I answered them, sometimes with required code samples which were done on a website with a shared text editor.

Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2014.

Interview Details Interview is quite formal compare to standard company. I got a phone call at the first place then I got a email for interview invitation. All the questions they asked are quite fair as well, if you prepared for algorithm questions you get learned in University/College. Amazon employee will interview you use an online team programming tool, that does sync with people who invited with the link, it is quite easy to use. I did not end up to get an offer, but it is an good experience overall :)

Interview Question – How would you identify a binary tree?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I
Vancouver, BC

Interview Details Applied through Amazon website.
A week later HR contacted to set up a 1 hour phone interview.

nterviewer asked to tell about my favorite course project and about my Co-Op Exp. Later asked to write a code in any interested language about how to find two numbers in an array whose sum is equal to a given number. Asked how I can improve it and what its Big O, is it going to compile

Interview Question – Later asked about Virtual methods, polymorphism, its importance and use. Messed up the Polymorphism question. I think that is the reason for my rejection.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I interviewed at Amazon.com in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and invited for phone interview. The interview started with an introduction and a programming question. The question was rather easy but challenging enough for a one-hour interview. Discussed the debugging and design process for the given solution. Overall, enjoyed the interview and got the result after few days.

Interview Question – The simplicity of the question   Answer Question

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!