Amazon.com Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
4,886 Interview Reviews

3.3

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Amazon.com in July 2014.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter. I went through two 1-hour phone interviews and then went in for a full day interview session which starts with a 1-hour presentation and continues with 1 on 1 interviews the rest of the day. It was the most difficult interview process I had ever gone through.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when two seemingly unrelated situations converged to create one larger problem on a project. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in June 2014.

I applied online in June 2014, and got a phone call interview with HR person 1. Phone call interview was about data-structures, sorting algorithms, and OOP. I had 2 questions to code on collabedit. Interviewer was nice and he was giving me constant hints.

After a few days, I got a on-site interview email by another HR person 2 to arrange my interview with developers. Before by interview I was asked to do a preparatory call with the HR person 3. I was schedule a time for call with HR person 3. I never got a call at the allocated time slot. Later in the day, I received an email from HR Person 2 that I HR person 3 is unavailable and she will call you another time. I wasn't too impressed with this. I finally got another call from HR person 3 and she didnt seem much interested - she seemed like she wanted to hang up asap.

On-site interview had 4 back to back interviews with developers and managers, 45 mins each. Developers were nice. Managers not so much. Some behavioral questions.

Questions included: Merge two sorted lists, OOP of a website with videos and users uploading videos, Sort two arrays, HashMap run times, Linked List merge. I answered all the questions correctly(or it seemed). Developers and managers didnt give me any feedback or hints when I was working on the questions.

I waited a week to hear back from HR person 3. After a week, I emailed HR person 2, HR person 3 called me firstly apologizing that she wasn't able to get back to me earlier, and later she said that I was not selected, and I should keep applying for another team. I am not sure what that means. Will I even get selected again?

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2012.

2 phone interviews + onsite. The phone interview questions were more difficult than those asked onsite. Mostly, design question were asked onsite. There is a cargo cult mentality amongst the developers which I didn't like. It was not clear how much code needs to be written on the board. One guy asked me to skip the design and dive straight to the code. Another guy asked me just to write the pseudo code.

They are in a hurry to finish the interview within 45 minutes and move on to the next candidate. In real life nobody designs a object model in 45 minutes. So, expecting candidates to finish the design within that timeslot is not just unfair. It is also useless since it doesn't tell you much about the candidate.

I am skeptical of the whole interview process and employee turnover tells me that the current interviewing style at IT companies is broken.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not difficult when compared with what is asked in Silicon Valley companies.   Answer Question

Parking Lot Attendant Interview

interviewed at Amazon.com in January 2010.

had to id cars, and spaces without cars... very friendly and professional, lovely people, and professional and friendly. they called back right away with an offer. Had to take the bus there but buses very frequent and fast and clean. Good signage on all the buildings - very easy to locate and get to right place to go. All in all a fast, friendly, excellent experience, and a complimentary lunch as well, but no free stuff.

Solution Architect Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Amazon.com.

2 phone calls - this was the 2nd phone interview. It was more technical than then 1st one.
    what is soa
    java & c
    what does kernel do
    difference between java & C
    hypervisor
    dns
    router & switch
    what is content delivery network
    relational db pros cons
    worked with change cntrl software
    hadoop - explain mapreduce
    differene between oltp / dw
    tcp v/s udp explain

Software Development Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Amazon.com.

One screening interview and then 3 back to back technical interviews. The screening was done by a seemingly fresh developer who didn't understand some of my answers, so i had to give him another basic algorithm. The technical interviews discussed my resume (thank goodness somebody cares about prior experience), had a graph problem that is solved by BFS, and finally there was a question that was much more complicated than the person asking it realized. Overall, I was frustrated by the level of preparedness of my interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • A question about finding anomalies in a stream of data. I couldn't code an answer because I could think of so many ways the data stream can gradually deviate from its expected distribution. The interviewer ended up giving me the algorithm and I coded it then showed him how it is not a general solution. During my though process I asked for clarification question that he wasn't prepared to answer.   Answer Question
    They refused to negotiate at all, telling me that there is a standard offer. I could squeeze out some money for relocation.

Software Engineer Interview

Amazon came to my university and interviewed many of us back to back in a reserved room. Had to sign NDA before interview. Was asked to introduce self, and went straight into algorithm questions given a piece of note paper to explain. Interview kept looking at phone, but explained he was checking the time.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Phone interview, then on-site interview. it was easy. I found it quite easy, understanding, helpful, legimate, not-forcefull, helped to releave. It could be more and more and more and even more effecient but it couldn't be more than ever in the field of the area without considering everything that they could offer to people who helped a lot on the field in the area.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Amazon.com in April 2010.

Very good communication. Had interview at school's career centre.

Two interviewers in total, one person each time about 30~45 minutes. Both friendly and after some general questions the technical part started. First one is reversing a linked-list. The second person asks questions regarding multiple file's management and merging problems.

Got back after a weeks and rejected me.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Amazon.com.

Was part of the final interview process. 5 interviewers, 4 technical interviews and one behavioral. 45-50 minutes per person. On the technical side was asked about prior experience as a "wram" up question then an algorithm. They covered all the standard data structures: Navigation in the binary tree, linked list, search in the graph, system design based on the hash table. Some of the guys seemed very relaxed and the process was sort of working session with a collegue and some of them were a bit distant, and it was a bit hard to read-up anything from them. I got a bit intimidated when I made couple of mistakes but overall process was ok. I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • System design of the complete online company. Didn't know how technical I should go, High level or go to specifics. I didn't read off the interviewer where to go - he just said "go ahead and just design away"   View Answers (2)

Worked for Amazon.com? Contribute to the Community!