Altera

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details Applied online

Interview Question – Questions were mainly open-ended. One of the interviewers had difficulty understanding my answers and kept repeating the same thing over and over.

During the second round of interviews, one of the interviewers told me that they only have few openings and are not likely going to hire anyone. Which seemed absurd. Why ask for a second round of interview if you are not hiring!

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Toronto, ON

I interviewed at Altera in March 2013.

Interview Details Applied online, received interview a week later. Then I went to the Toronto office to have my interview. I was directly interviewed by my future manager and director. I had two 1-to-1 interview. One is about hardware and one is about software. About 2 weeks after the interview and received call from my manager about the offer. I accepted it.

Interview Question – Give a two dimentional array of registors that contains intensity value. It is feed to you one registor per cycle. How to design a hardware using FPGA to calculate the average of the 9 registors including 8 that locate right beside the center one.   View Answer

IP Design Engineer Interview

IP Design Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Altera in September 2012.

Interview Details through school recruitment event: contacted to have lunch with several managers, then 1-on-1 interviews in series.

Interview Question – graph traversal   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details Received interview from Altera by handing my resume to a representative at a career fair at university - I felt getting an interview is highly based on marks. It was about a 1 h and 30 min interview, with three different people - the whole interview is technical. The first person asked questions about digital logic, the second person about software and the last one was more challenging questions about digital loic.

Interview Question – Asked question about creating a digital logic circuit that would describe a signal that was periodic - very open ended and difficult   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Altera in July 2013.

Interview Details It's their Toronto location where I applied. Applied through their website and got email to come for a first state interview time. Two persons interviewed me, both for ~half an hour. They ask both software and hardware questions in the first stage interview to see where the person fits well. Not sure if there are second/more stages interview for interns.

Interview Question – Hardware: Build a digital circuit that outputs '1' when input is fed with 256 or more consecutive '1's
Software: Write a function for a binary tree which prints all the values stored in the nodes

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details I got a on-site interview with two interviewers. One asked hardware questions and one asked Software questions.

Interview Question – 1) 3-bit gray counter using D-flip flop
2) basic questions about CMOS transistor level
3) Reverse a linked-list in C++
4) write an algorithm for a problem

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details Within one month after only applying, got a email to arrange first round in-personal interview. During interview, meet with two interviewers. Each one gave a test on algorithm.

Interview Question – find a missing element in array B compare to array A.   View Answers (2)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Altera.

Interview Details The interview was split into five 30 minute separate 1-on-1 interviews with managers or supervisors from different parts of the company. I was asked mostly technical questions, which ranged from being quite detailed (write some code to implement some algorithm) to being quite broad. There were no trick questions and no trivia questions. Everyone was very polite and nice.

Interview Question – Write code to find the critical path in a graph.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked during the interview about my salary expectations. The offer seemed quite good, so I accepted it without negotiating.

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Altera

Interview Details The hiring manager was so helpful and the interview was as smooth as it could be

Interview Question – Draw the hardware architecture for priority encoders   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Design Engineer
Toronto, ON

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Altera in February 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by email for an in person interview. The interview was two consecutive sessions and took 1.5 hours in total. They told me that they will notify me for another phone interview and the final on the site interview. The questions were straightforward.

Interview Questions

• The first question was to separate valid words in a string given a dictionary.   Answer Question
  • The second question was to tell were to hit a bowling ball to maximize the score earned assuming the ball hits k pins and each pin has a score.   View Answer
Interviews for Top Jobs at Altera

Worked for Altera? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Altera interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Altera employees and interview candidates.