Alaska Airlines

Average Difficulty
77 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Agent

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details In June 2014 The process began with filling out an application online. I received an email message from HR which contained six questions that I was to RESPOND PROMPTLY to. Questions: Why do you want to work for Alaska Airlines 2. Are you able to accept a part-time position approx 20-30 hrs per week 3. Do you have open availability (includes weekdays, weekends, early morning, afternoon and late evenings) 4. Are you able to accept a starting wage of $11.69 per hour 5. What time is best to contact you between 8am-4pm 6. What is the best phone number to reach you at. As requested I replied with 20 minutes of receiving the email. The next day I received a voicemail stating a date and time to phone screen and advised to call if the schedule didn't fit. The phone screen lasted 10 minutes typical questions: 1. Describe a time challenging situation at work ..How did you tackle it? 2. Why do you think you are suited for this position 3. Can you tell me of a time when a manager spoke in an angry manner to you or a co-worker how did you handle it? 4. Please share with me what you know about the Alaska Airlines 5. Why did you leave your last position 6. If you are still working for an employer, do you intend to leave your current position and work only for Alaska Airlines or do you plan on working both positions. 7. What do you feel are the qualities a good Customer Service Agent should have 8. How do you handle criticism. 8. How many times have you been late to work. I was then invited to a group interview session in 3 days and told it could last from 8am-5pm. There were approximately 30-40 candidates in the room. HR began with showing promotional videos and then we were introduced to the HR/Recruiting team and hiring manager. The hiring manager explained that they were only hiring for 3 positions. YES 3 positions! The group was split up between group A and group B. Group B included the hiring manager which became obvious to group A. During the session each person in the group was asked a question like: If you worked for a cleaners and ruined a wedding dress the day of the wedding and the bride was angry how would you handle that? If you were a stylist and a customer asked you to cut her hair and after cutting her hair to her specifications she didn't like it how would you remedy the situation? What is your favorite job. Not was your favorite job or what would be you idea of a favorite job....Then we were asked to make 4 teams of 4 or 5 people and complete an exercise giving us full range creativity where price was no object to create a better way to service curbside Alaska Airlines customers. At 12:00 pm we broke for lunch and at 12:30pm all candidates were brought in the room together and they announced the names of the 3 people they would extend offers to.

Interview Question – If you were a hair stylist and you cut the customers hair to her specifications but she complained and said she didn't like it what would you.   View Answer

Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2010.

Interview Details Apply online. Smile and be outgoing and courteous. Once you apply you will attend a group interview. This is their weeding out process. If you pass the Group interview you will have a panel interview and then a 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – You have an intoxicated passenger that you will have to deny boarding per Airline Policy. Describe in detail how you will deny boarding to this insistent and irrational passenger.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This position is a union job, therefore there is no negotiation on salary. You start at a base salary your first year and receive an annual cost of living increase. The salary is not why you would accept an airline position. This position is primarily about the AMAZING benefits. Flight Benefits, Health Benefits, Profit Sharing.. etc.

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details Know the job, over prepare and do you research. These folks are obviously stretched too thin and the stress they are under shows...based on the group interview I observed.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for an airline, specifically this one?
What would your current or prior boss say about you...
What is some constructive criticism you have received...
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary is way below market.

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details The entire process took about 2 weeks. I applied online and received an email a few days later asking me to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire consisted of basic questions. After that I was scheduled for a phone interview a couple days later which lasted approximately 12 minutes. The interview consisted of basic HR questions as well as a couple of CS scenarios. I was then invited to attend a group interview that was to take place in 5 days. The interview was in Santa Clara, CA. I actually thought the group interview process was pretty exciting. They put all candidates in a room together, show a few videos about the company, and have Alaska Airlines employees come talk to you about the company, their jobs, the benefits, and what you can expect. I felt the were very upfront, honest, and genuine. They explained the interview process and started with the group sessions right after the initial orientation. They split us up into 3 groups (about 16 people apiece), had us make 60 second introductions, and give an answer to basic CS scenarios. Some of the scenarios made you really think and you didn't know your situation until that very moment. Once that process was complete, they sent us on break and gave us a time to return. Once they returned, all candidates were placed in one room and the names of the candidates moving on to one-on-ones were announced. Everyone else was thanked for their time, encouraged to reapply, and sent to enjoy the rest of their day. The one-on-ones (more like 3 on 1's) were about 30-45 minutes, but fairly relaxed and comfortable. I didn't feel Like I was being interrogated. Once you completed the 1 on 1's they had you wait in a room and gave you the news (good or bad) in about 15 minutes.

Interview Question – What would be your greatest challenge if the job was offered to you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

CSA Air Freight Interview

CSA Air Freight
SeaTac, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details Process:
(1) Few days after applying for CSA Air Freight position, I got an email from a recruiter asking basic questions about the things that are required for this specific position.
(2) After I sent her the answers, she then set up a phone interview with me in which she asked the same required questions plus some scenario-based and other questions.
(3) Then I was invited for a group interview that had total of 20 candidates.
(4) An Air Freight manager and a HR manager started the process by going over the company's history, culture, benefits etc. Once they were done with their presentation, they asked everyone to stand up one by one and tell everyone else that what was the best job we had and why.
After this, everyone was given a unique scenario question to answer.
Then we were split into teams of four and asked to come up with an idea of an aviation related product or service that doesn't already exist. (I think hey wanna see how good of a team player you are).
(5) Total six people were selected for one-on-one interview and the rest were excused.
This section was about 40-50 minutes long and they asked all kinds of questions.

Interview Question – "What is my risk to hire you?"   View Answer

Senior Analyst - Network Planning Interview

Senior Analyst - Network Planning
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied on the Alaska website in mid-March and was contacted for a phone screening/interview after about a month by an analyst for the Network Planning team. The phone screening was pretty straight forward and mostly consisted of questions on previous/current job responsibilities. A few questions focusing on my critical thinking process and how I handle projects were asked as well as some questions testing my knowledge of Alaska Airlines and their network. I was told they hoped to wrap up the entire interview process and hire someone within a month. After 3 weeks of not hearing back, I emailed to follow up and was told they were "running behind schedule", but I was invited to Seattle for an in-person interview. I flew across the country (11+ hours total flight time) and had to take 2 days off work to get there for an interview that lasted for exactly 2 hours. I spent the first hour taking a network planning test, which I was originally nervous about but it ended up being fairly basic. During the second hour, I was interviewed by an HR person and the newly promoted manager of the group (who I spoke to for the initial phone screening). I was asked some of the same questions from the phone screening and some additional technical/behavioral questions. Overall, I thought the questions were not too bad and felt pretty good about my responses. The interview ended at noon and they sent me on my way. I was shocked that it was finished so soon because I thought there would be a fuller agenda. I was told they have some more interviews to do for the rest of the week, but they would reach a decision by the following week. I ended up waiting about 2.5 weeks before someone from HR called to tell me I wasn't selected.

The biggest qualm I had about this entire process was the time commitment I made and how little they seemed to appreciate my flying across the country for the interview. Although a full day of interviews would be extremely tiring, I thought I would at least get a tour of the building and meet some of the other team members or the person I would be reporting to if selected (the director). I think the point of an interview is that it should be mutual beneficial—yes, the employer wants to learn about the candidate, but they should also allow the candidate to learn/see if they like the team dynamic and office environment. All I got to see was the conference room I was in and the waiting area. The other big issue I had is perhaps they should have made more of an effort to limit the short list of people invited for in-person interviews to those they were really serious about, especially if they ask someone to fly across the country for it. From the sounds of it, it seemed that there were quite a few other people coming in to interview. It also felt a bit biased because the decision seemed to be made solely by one individual and that person wasn't even the one I would be reporting to if selected. A more timely response/follow up than what was promised would also have been nice.

Interview Question – Describe an instance where a manger did not value or was not receptive to your ideas or approach. How did you handle it?

Describe a project you initiated or worked on from start to finish.
  Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
SeaTac, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview Details There were two interviews, with the third to be with the division VP. The first interview was with the hiring manager (Managing Director) and an HR representative. The second interview was with peers; both directors in the same group. I was not passed on to the third interview.

Pros: The people I met with were quite nice. The HR representatives I spoke with for scheduling interviews were accommodating of my schedule conflicts.

Cons: The hiring manager didn't appear to know what she wanted from a final candidate. I was surprised at how surface level the questions were, with no apparent expectation that I discuss how I would show success in such a role or my past leadership experience. Post interview, the feedback was highly conflicting between the hiring manager and HR. The two were not on the same page.

I would not be interested in applying for future positions in that part of the organization.

Interview Question – What do you want to do now that we won't see as beneficial for years to come?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent

Interview Details I applied and got an email response within four days asking me to complete a questionnaire. After I did that, I had a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward; your skills, your work history, etc. The interviewer invited me to a group interview event the following week. There, we watched a really informative presentation by an HR person then met a few others who actually work for Alaska. We were then split into two smaller groups and separated into two rooms. There were probably 14-16 people in our room and we went around and introduced ourselves. We then had an activity where you put yourself in a customer service problem solving situation, which was fun. Then, we did a mini-group presentation. Finally, we took a break and when we came back they let us know who was going to have one-on-one interviews. The face to face interview was actually a little intimidating to start, just you and two Alaska employees, but it quickly progressed into just easy, comfortable conversation. It lasted for about 45 minutes. They asked about your background and if you could perform the job.

Interview Question – What is a piece of constructive criticism you have received at work? What is a piece you have received in your personal life?   Answer Question

Enterprise Architect Interview

Enterprise Architect
Seattle, WA (US)

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in June 2014.

Interview Details As expected. A thorough Skype interview initially due to location. They flew me out for a half day on site. Very well handled and coordinated.

Interview with VP of IT, Director of Architecture and a great peer season with the architecture team.

Very positive experience.

Interview Questions

CSA At PDX Interview

CSA At PDX
Portland, OR (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Alaska Airlines in May 2014.

Interview Details I applied online, got a phone interview about a month later, Brandy the HR was very friendly and asked basic questions about Customer service, simple background questions from there she asked if I could come in for a group interview in 2 days. At the group interview there were about 40 of us, we were shown videos about Alaska airlines and benefits they offer.. I feel that part should be shown to individuals who are offered a position.
After that we were split in to groups and we were given challenging questions about customer service issues, you had to read it out loud and give your answer.
We were then split into a smaller group and had to role play curb side to boarding and show them how we would offer a smooth and pleasant Check-in...
10 people were selected for 1 on 1 interviews. There were a lot of experienced individuals who like myself have airlines experience, but if they didn't hear what they wanted on how you would service passengers and on personality you were counted out. If you aren't one for group interviews this could be a little more nerve wrecking considering it's a larger group. Take your time be yourself and don't over think it.

Interview Questions

• If you were a general manager at a restaurant, and a man came in and told you his family was here last night and everyone got really ill, what would you do?   Answer Question
  • If you were working at a opera and the doors just closed , a couple came 15 minutes late because they said they had parking issues the woman begins to cry, what would you do   Answer Question

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!