Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr, 2015

Customer Service Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Interview

First was the phone interview with the recruiter, then if you pass that you are invited to a group interview. For group interviews you check in. Make sure you fill out all of the paperwork they asked you to complete before showing up. Then there is a power point presentation. It was very easy going. Fun. You can tell everyone enjoys what they do for the company. They split everyone up into groups and have you go into a room with your assigned group. There were 3 people from the company in our room. They go over what the group interview is going to be about. You stand up and introduce yourself and within 60 seconds tell everyone about the job you were or are most dedicated to. They are watching to see how you are in front of a group and talking to people you don't know. They are also looking to see how your speech is. If you say like or um too much thats a big no no. They most of all want to see your personality. After this there is a group activity. They are watching to see how everyone interacts with each other. Who is bossy and takes charge and who is sitting in the corner waiting to be told what to do. You want to be the one who isn't involved with everyone. But you want to help people. Because thats what this job is about. After this there was a on the spot question that you had to read aloud in front of everyone. Don't be the last one to go. You volunteer. I went 3rd. You cant see your question / scenario until you stand up and flip the card over. Remember to be customer service focused. Don't say um, or like. If you need to, you can take a deep breath and think for a second. Always look your interviewers in the eyes. Also look at the group. Don't mess with your hands while talking to everyone, that shows your very nervous. And def don't play with your hair.
    After all of that they let you out on a break and tell you what time be back in the room. They then will call off the names of the people that made it to the one on one interviews. Everyone else is asked to leave the room. After your name is called they hand you an agreement form. They then have you sign and date, you are then assigned your one on one interview time. The one on one I had was with 1 HR person and 2 station managers. They go over every detail of your past work history. You need to add every job you had even if it was just for 2 days. If you received a W2 you need to write it down!
    They then ask you a few questions about what was the most difficult situation you have had with a customer and how did you resolve it. They ask about why you want to be a CSA. They ask what is one thing people misunderstand about you. They ask what was one thing a past employer said you needed to improve and how did you take it?. You need to give real life experiences. DONT LIE! Be honest and be yourself. LOOK ALL OF THEM IN THE EYES! Don't mess around with a ring or your hair. I talk with my hands a lot and I tried to tame it down. ALWAYS answer the question in the end. Just be yourself and you will do great.
    Bring snacks. And keep your energy up.

I hope this helped.

Bring 3 to 4 copies of your resume.

Ground Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

First you have a phone interview with a recruiter. After that you go to the interview location and have a one on one interview. After the interview you sit and wait for their decision. If you received the position you fill out all your paper work then schedule your testing. Very laid back and an easy interview

Interview Questions

• What would your current employer say your weakness is?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't need to

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in April 2015.

Interview

Two weeks after submitting an online application I received an email saying that someone from HR would like to conduct a phone interview me for about 15-20 minutes. A date and time was set and I was to email and confirm the appointment. I was asked to have a copy of my resume handy to refer to during the interview and to be in an area free of distractions.

Interview Questions

• After brief introductions, she asked me if I had my resume handy. I did and she proceeded to ask me about each of my previous positions: when I started, when I left and why did I leave the company. She asked me of a time when I went above and beyond expected service and what I enjoyed about my last position. She also asked me why I wanted to work for Alaska Airlines. After the interview was completed she told me that she would like to invite me to the next phase of the interview process which would be an all day event. I accepted and will travel at my own expense to the location selected for the in person interviews. I have not actually been hired yet. This was only the initial phone screening phase of the interview.   2 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Anchorage, AK (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Traveled to the interview. There were about 72 people there which were divided into 3 groups for the group interview. We were each asked 2 questions and a group question. I really felt like this was a cattle call instead of an interview. There is no way with the two questions they could determine much of anything about anyone. Everyone should of at least been able to have a chance to give a short synopsis of what value I bring to the company and how they could benefit. Not sure what criteria they are going off of but I really feel like they are not going after quality people that could make a difference. Everyone there showed up, paid for airfares and I really feel we should of been given the opportunity to show who we are and what values we bring with us to Alaska Airlines.

Interview Questions

• Do you think its appropriate to post comments about a passenger on Facebook. Why or why not?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Anchorage, AK (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email from HR about one week later. Scheduled a phone interview for the next day. The phone interview lasted approx. 15-20 min. I was asked basic customer service questions (ex. Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle it). I was then invited to attend a group interview taking place a week later. I was informed that if travel was necessary it would be at my own expense and to expect the process to take an average business day (8hrs). The group interview started with around 25-30 people. Started with an orientation of sorts explaining the job/benefits/schedule etc. We proceeded to organize ourselves in a circle alphabetically (during this time there are about 5-9 Alaska Air representatives observing the group. I believe this is when you begin to make your impression as they are looking for individuals with good social and people skills.) Then we were given a partner and a scenario card which we went around the room answering in pairs. Then we were each asked to give one thing about ourselves. After about 1 hour of group activities, they asked us all to wait. About 45 min later the panel came back with a list of about 10 people that they wanted to move on to the individual interviews. We were given a time for our interview (we could leave and come back if time allowed). I was interviewed by two people, one HR and the customer service manager. They asked every detail of my work history and a few easy basic questions (why do you want to work for Alaska Air? A time you had to work with a difficult coworker...etc.) this lasted about 15-20 min then they asked me to wait outside while they discuss. About 10 min later they came out and extended an offer. I believe there were maybe 5-7 people that got an offer. I think the biggest thing to remember is that they are always observing. Introduce yourself to the group when you walk in, talk to people and socialize, this is super important for customer service.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the most challenging for you In this position?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Irvine, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. Alaska airlines truly seeks the best talent. This isn't an interview and you hope to "wing". I highly recommend researching the company, its contribution to the community, and the expansion from it's small roots. I used this website as my guide which helped me prepare for the exhausting interview process. Thank you to everyone who posted their feedback!

Interview Questions

• Why is it important to take time with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Boise, ID (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on line. Received an email asking me if I was available for a phone interview/screening. They breifly assessed me (easy) and invited me to a group interview. On the day of the interview they first gave a presentation about the company and the job. Everyone that wanted to afterwards got an interview and if you passed the first one you got on to the 2nd one with the supervisor. I made it to the supervisor interview but he decided not to hire me. I felt they were more interested in hiring younger people without families because it was a call center with long hours and rotating shift plus you will never have weekends off. Also if you are a nicotine user they won't hire you.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were easy. When you meet with the supervisor they may ask you to look up info on their website using Ask Jenn so you may want to play with that before you interview. I think one question was about the size of baggage you can take and one was about strollers at the gate and is there and extra charge.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (Portland, OR (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Great process, great people! Come prepared! The candidates who talk clearly and present themselves with confidence are the ones who make t thru. Do not forget to smile and mingle with everyone!

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Check-in, reach test, orientation, and then we broke into groups by the letter on our name tag. The group consisted of about fifteen people, a recruiter, and a training flight attendant (one to two). Everyone who worked for the airline was friendly and kind. They told everyone to just be themselves, which is the best thing you can do. Also, all the candidates were very warm and friendly. The stuff that you read on this site is very much what you will see.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to alphabetize ourselves as a group and then had to go around and say/spell our full name and then answer this question "What previous job were you most loyal to?" Then we drew a card for an airline type situation/scenario. There were many questions I saw on this site that were asked..."What is teamwork? Tell of a time your employer implemented a policy change you did not agree with. How did you handle it? What do you do if a co worker is not working? What would be the biggest challenge about working on reserve? Why is it important to talk with a frustrated passenger? How do you handle a rude passenger? The last question was a group question and that was..."Tell us something about yourself that is not on your resume? From there we were dismissed to wait for their decision as to if we would go on to the next part of the interview process. We waited about 50 minutes. Most people chatted and got to know each other while waiting. I would say there were about 15 people in each group and of each group they kept approximately 3 people. I was actually very shocked to see the results. I was not chosen to stay. I am not exactly sure what they are looking for but the people that I believe that really stood out in the group interviews answered the question simply but gave a reason and a scenario to relate to. Don't talk too much and go on and on. Ladies wear a skirt and a low heal and even a sport coat. Look professional. I can't tell you how many people looked like they didn't even style their hair or wash it. Be friendly, but don't be fake. The trainers from the airline were very kind. I was more impressed with Alaska Airlines just by the way they treated us. Truly a top notch airline.   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

Interview

Here are the questions! Just remember short and sweet and never stop smiling and no need to be nervous! Also, be sure to be honest, it worked for me. The STAR method is a good way to practice answering the questions. Have fun!

Situation: who what where when how
    Task: specific challenges, deadlines, costs
    Action: highlight traits without stating them, initiative, intelligence, leadership
    Result: close with a result quantify if possible

time when went above for customer service:

Why do you want to be an alaska airlines attendant?

Why do you want to leave your job?

What have you done to improve your professional image?

Why do you want to leave your job?

How I've handled difficult situations in the past?
    Angry customer:
    .Drunk customer:
    Non English speaking customer:
    Mean coworker:
    Coworker not working:
    Coworker rude to passenger:
    Coworker or passenger breaking safety regulations:
    Customer and no safety belt time for take off:

What do you find most negative about being on reserve?

how long do you plan on working here?

How do you measure personal accomplishments?

Policy change you weren't made aware of or didn't agree with how did you handle it?

Something not on your resume?

About yourself?

Weakness?

Strength?

How do you deal with stress?

one word that describes what you live for?

. Most challenging part of being a fa?

Give an example of a time you gave a first impression, did they think something that is not true to character?

What do you like least about your job?

What would you do if someone in Coach was demanding an alcoholic beverage before you got to him with the drink cart?

What is a mis conception your friends have of you?

When was the last time you received constructive criticism and why? Who where and when?

Another flight attendant misquotes how many drinks a passenger can have, how do you resolve this without causing tension between you the other fa and the customer?

. If a passenger was holding a carryon and did not want to place it underneath the seat what would you do? Now what would you do if they told you it was their loved one's remains inside the urn?

Why do you think professionalism is important?

Define professionalism

How my life has shaped me professionally?

What qualities should an AA FA have?

What do you think would be the most challenging part of being a FA?

How have you resolved a conflict with a customer in the past?

What is your impression of a flight attendant reading a magazine on a red eye and the passengers are sleeping?

Explain the most stressful situation you were and how did you handle it?

Tell me about your customer service?

How has your personal life shaped your professional life?

Are you able to relocate? What's difficult about relocating?

What could AA provide in their orientation that you knew but wasn't talked about?

Interview Questions

• Are you able to relocate? What's difficult about relocating?   Answer Question