Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines Interview Questions

Updated 22 Feb, 2015
Updated 22 Feb, 2015

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The day started early and promptly at 0800. Candidates were turned away in 0801. Forty one people made it by 0800.

The day started with a one hour presentation about Alaska Airlines explaining their culture, the Flight Attendant career, the life on reserve, and how training works. Then we split up into groups of approximately 10 and had a group interview.

During the group interview each person introduced themselves. They had us arrange in alphabetical order by last name. The recruiter handed out a card with one question on it and one by one we answered the question. After everyone was finished they went around and we had to say an interesting fact about ourselves that was not listed on our resume. Afterwards we were finished with the first session. We went on a break and back into the main room.

After a little wait and everyone was back in the main room, HR came in and called 16 names. Those 16 were selected to move forward to the next step and everyone else was free to go.

They gave us an interview time and released us to lunch.

This interview was one-on-one and began with a Flight Attendant going over the basic qualifications of the job, the minimum requirements, pay, uniforms, and training. Then we had your typical HR interview with the situational based questions and they went over your application and work history.

After the one on one interview we were told fairly quickly if we were going to advance to the final panel interview. Then there was about a three hour wait as others were finishing their one on ones.

After everyone was finished with the one on one they had narrowed it down to 10 folks. We were split into two groups. The panel interview was one big group exercise. They want to see how you work together. The questions were situation based - what would you do or how would you handle - type questions.

After our group was finished, we went into another room and waited. HR came in and said the were going to take us out individually and tell us the results. One candidate was called out and was not selected. HR came back into the room and offered the remaining four of us that we were successful.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when a previous employer implemented a policy change you either didn't agree with or weren't made aware of How did you handle it?   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Be on point! Smile like there is no tomorrow. Take notes. Pay attention. The company looks great and a lot of people have to apply more than once to get in. So don't give up. There were 75 people in my session. They cut it down to 23. I made the cut. Went to the HR meeting & I think I was so nervous I freaked out & started rambling. KEEP IT SHORT & SWEET. Also be sure to mention volunteer work you've done.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

First was the phone interview with the recruiter, then if you pass that you are invited to a group interview. For group interviews you check in. Make sure you fill out all of the paperwork they asked you to complete before showing up. Then there is a power point presentation. It was very easy going. Fun. You can tell everyone enjoys what they do for the company. They split everyone up into groups and have you go into a room with your assigned group. There were 3 people from the company in our room. They go over what the group interview is going to be about. You stand up and introduce yourself and within 60 seconds tell everyone about the job you were or are most dedicated to. They are watching to see how you are in front of a group and talking to people you don't know. They are also looking to see how your speech is. If you say like or um too much thats a big no no. They most of all want to see your personality. After this there is a group activity. They are watching to see how everyone interacts with each other. Who is bossy and takes charge and who is sitting in the corner waiting to be told what to do. You want to be the one who isn't involved with everyone. But you want to help people. Because thats what this job is about. After this there was a on the spot question that you had to read aloud in front of everyone. Don't be the last one to go. You volunteer. I went 3rd. You cant see your question / scenario until you stand up and flip the card over. Remember to be customer service focused. Don't say um, or like. If you need to, you can take a deep breath and think for a second. Always look your interviewers in the eyes. Also look at the group. Don't mess with your hands while talking to everyone, that shows your very nervous. And def don't play with your hair.
    After all of that they let you out on a break and tell you what time be back in the room. They then will call off the names of the people that made it to the one on one interviews. Everyone else is asked to leave the room. After your name is called they hand you an agreement form. They then have you sign and date, you are then assigned your one on one interview time. The one on one I had was with 1 HR person and 2 station managers. They go over every detail of your past work history. You need to add every job you had even if it was just for 2 days. If you received a W2 you need to write it down!
    They then ask you a few questions about what was the most difficult situation you have had with a customer and how did you resolve it. They ask about why you want to be a CSA. They ask what is one thing people misunderstand about you. They ask what was one thing a past employer said you needed to improve and how did you take it?. You need to give real life experiences. DONT LIE! Be honest and be yourself. LOOK ALL OF THEM IN THE EYES! Don't mess around with a ring or your hair. I talk with my hands a lot and I tried to tame it down. ALWAYS answer the question in the end. Just be yourself and you will do great.
    Bring snacks. And keep your energy up.

I hope this helped.

Bring 3 to 4 copies of your resume.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online. Then went through two phone screenings then a skype interview with the team members. Overall it was ok. You get free flights anywhere alaska airlines goes if there is room. Located in Washington I believe.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

The team did a great job letting everyone know about the company and job requirements. The group interview was exactly what others have stated. Get there early, smile, be nice and stay alert!
    Alaska Airlines is a fantastic company. I will definitely apply again in the future.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online 1/16/15
    Received email 1/18/15 to answer questions

1. If hired, do you have COMPLETE open flexibility to relocate* to ANY and EACH one of our 5 domiciles - ANC, SEA, PDX, SAN or LAX (assignments are based on business needs and seniority)?
    COMMUTING is NOT a viable option; getting a crash pad is acceptable though.

2. Have you had an IN PERSON interview with Alaska Airlines for the Flight Attendant position within the last 6 months?

3. Are you able to attend an interview, if selected, in Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Southern California, or Anchorage, AK at YOUR OWN EXPENSE in the next few weeks?

4. WHICH location would you prefer to attend an interview at YOUR OWN EXPENSE?

5. What is the best phone number to reach you during the week?

Notified 1/20/15 that they would like to schedule phone interview
    Phone interview 1/21/15
    1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Why Alaska
    3. Tell about time you went above & beyond for a customer
    4. What do you like least about your job
    Recruiter was so nice, made me feel welcomed, scheduled me for in person interview 1/28/15. The phone interviewer is not at the group interview.

Group interview at 1/28/15 8:00 am
    As people waited, everyone had their smile on & actively spoke to each other. Some really worked the room, making sure to visit with most of the applicants on the other side of the room.
    Showed video talked about the F/A life & Alaska's benefits.
    Split us into groups & different rooms
    Our group had 15-20 people
    Each had to stand up, say first & last name, plus the spelling of our names, then asked "What job have you been most loyal too"
    Then they split us into groups of two, picked a card that has question on it. Situational questions, What do you do if a person doesn't want to wear a seat belt, What if a coworker is rude to a passenger, why should flight attendants be professional, what if a passenger wants you to save a meal & you run out before you get to his row.
    Everyone had great answers, then the interviewers challenged our answers to make us think of a better, different answer, or if were going to stick with our original answer. Interviewers were very nice till this point, then they really pushed. They really picked on some of the people more so than others, which actually felt rude & made the rest of us uncomfortable watching the back & forth relay.
    Then we were each asked to give them one detail that was not on our resume. (A hobby or interest)
    Again, answers were wonderful by all.
    We then were told to break, then meet back in the first room.
    We all took our seats, chatted with our neighbor until spokesperson read the names that were selected. Out of 90 people applying they chose 12-14.
    Not sure what happened in the other rooms, but in the group interview that I was in, only a few were chosen out of our group of 15-18.
    Really hard to say what Alaska was looking for. Dark hair, Asian, Mexican, African American were mostly chosen. Not beautiful/handsome, more of a plain look. Some were kind of frumpy looking. I can say the few from my group were very articulate, but my whole group really was amazing. Many previous flight attendants were NOT chosen. Alaska is funny this way. Maybe they think flight attendant's can't be retrained? I don't know, but I know many that have applied that are outstanding employees, & they don't get chosen.
    There were so many people from all walks of life that flew in from faraway places, on their own dollar, that really thought they had a good chance, they were devastated. Honestly, its too many people in these group interviews. So many should have been able to go to the next step that looked & acted the part but were cut right away. Another disappointment is having to wait another 6 months to reapply, when so many are capable & have the qualifications for this job that were passed over. The recruiters state over & over to reapply, but why state that if you have so many capable applicants there now?

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Applied online, received a phone call after 2 weeks, skype interview 2 weeks after that because I am not around the area. The process is straight-forward and professional; phone interview is a typical screening interview; skype interview was with four people from the team.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer agenda-based or flexible meeting procedures?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

Before getting a face to face interview I went through an interview over the phone which I do believe you need to pass in order to proceed. Basic questions asked on the online application will also be asked.
    ------

The face to face interview was held at a hotel. It was a group interview of about 20 people. A video presentation opened the interview. Employees spoke about the position and its benefits. We were then broken up into 2 groups and assigned to two different rooms.

In the next room we introduced ourselves. We first introduced ourselves then made groups of 3 and were assigned to design our own airline. The next process of the interview we were each given a note card with a situation on the back. You are to read it aloud and determine what you would do in that scenario. They look for presentation, smiling, and your ability to speak to with ease to a customer.

After the three group activities they ask everyone to come back to the room in approximately 20 mins for the results of the continuing candidates. ... They chose 4 people of the group. I was one of the candidates asked to move forward. I was then given at appointment time for a one on one with another set of management.

In that sitting you are asked to answer a few short questions regarding your work history and ask you questions concerning your answers.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you gave a first impression to someone .. Did they think something of you that is not true to character?   Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Alaska Airlines in February 2015.

First contact I received after finishing my application online was an email asking some basic questions a few weeks after I submitted. Are you still interested, would you be able to accept the starting wage, are you in school, etc. They also asked for times I would be available in the coming days for a phone interview. I received an email back a few days later stating when my telephone interview was scheduled.

The telephone interview was also relatively basic. I was called promptly at my scheduled time, and a very cheerful woman was on the other end. She quickly went through the same question in the email to confirm them with me, and then proceeded to the main part of the interview. I was asked why I chose to apply with Alaska, how I dealt with criticism, what I thought the job entailed, etc. The questions seemed geared toward gauging your personality to see if you'd be a good fit in the company. Immediately following the questions, I was invited to attend a hiring event taking place the next week. After accepting, I was sent an email with all the details (time, date, location, forms to fill out, what to bring, etc).

The hiring event started early at a hotel downtown, with the event starting at 8am, and recommendations to arrive at 7:30am for check-in. The room slowly filled with what ended up being about 100 people. Shortly after 8am, employees for the airline (some station managers from various airports, representatives from corporate, and a few CSAs) gave a presentation to give us an overview of what to expect from Alaska, who they are, the atmosphere of working there, and some additional details about the position (pay, benefits, unions, etc). Following the presentation, we were split into five groups, and given a short break before the group interview process.

The group interview ended up being 20 candidates and 2 company representatives. We were asked to introduce ourselves, and each asked a question. Following that, each candidate was given a situation on a piece of paper (and asked to keep it face down until they were called upon) related to customer service outside of the airline industry. Answering questions was on a volunteer basis. A group activity was next, where we were asked to develop a 'curb to curb' experience for customers where cost was not an issue. We were given 10 minutes to complete this task, and then present as a group. After the presentations, we were asked one more question each before being dismissed, and asked to be back in the room 30 minutes later. When we came back, we were told who was making it on the the 1:1 interviews. Everyone who made it on was given an interview time (some right away, some 4+ hours from that time) and told where to meet before hand. For reference, ~30 people made in to this stage.

The 1:1 interview ended up being 1:2, and was a bit more in depth. We went through work history, and asked questions pertaining to it. Following that came questions related to the position. Some of which included what you would do if you noticed a co-worker to accidentally violated safety regulations, how often it was acceptable for an employee to be sick, and what was a common misconception about me. Following the ~45 minute process, I was asked to return to the waiting room to hear my results. About 15 minutes later, I was told my interview was successful and was to be offered a position.

Yes, this was a difficult interview, but if you're both prepared and a good fit for the position, you should do well. If you think about it, those who can end the process still upbeat and enthusiastic at the end of a nerve wracking day of interview should be able to handle the daily stress of an airline.

For some added context, I was applying for a position at one of Alaska's major airports, and they were hiring for between 5 and 10 positions, so the size of the initial group may differ.

Interview Questions
    • See above. Most questions were pretty standard, or standard questions asked in a different way.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Alaska Airlines.

I applied online and a week later I received an email to set up a phone interview. The date was set to a week after. I just finished my interview and now waiting to see if I get to go on to the group interview. The interview questions were basic questions. Such as tell me something interesting about yourself, why did you choose us, tell me a time you had to deal with a difficult person, a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer. I feel I didn't do too bad but let's wait and see!