Advisory Board Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep, 2014
Updated 26 Sep, 2014

2.8

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Advisory Board.

I had a first-round phone interview. Interview took 30mins. The interviewer was nice but sounded a bit uninterested. Questions were to tell a little about myself and walk her through my resume, if I could go back to my college, what advice would I give the staff or administration, how do I stay organized or manage my time, tell about a time I had to develop something and what the process was like, tell about a time I set a goal and what I did to reach that goal, what do I think the Advisory Board does/ what is it about, how I heard about the company and why I decided to apply, then if I had any questions (in that order). I have never been asked this many questions. Still waiting to hear about a second interview, but it was nice to hear they definitely contact you again either to deny you or schedule a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • What advice would you give the staff or administration of your school.   Answer Question

Senior Health Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Advisory Board.

The first was the phone interview with HR rep. During my phone interview the HR recruiter was a bit too enthusiastic where it seemed like she didn't really listen to my responses. She then asked about salary requirements and tried to tell me the position was in the 60-70 thousand range for a senior level position in DC! I told her I looked up the salary and it was much higher then what she was stating. She told me she would make a note that I was looking for a high range. I asked her why the range she was telling me was much lower then what I had found on Glassdoor and other sites for a senior position and she didn't really have an answer. I think because she was relatively new to the company and wanted to try to save the company some money by hiring a candidate who may not have all the knowledge for salary range prior to the hr screening call. Word of advice do your research and stand your ground to let them know you have done your homework!!!! I really did not appreciate how this particular HR rep really low balled the salary and I had to correct her and let her know that I knew she was going way below!

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were standard hr questions. For example why you want to work for the Advisory board....etc.   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

Received word for an initial phone interview. Interviewer sounded as if reading a script the entire time (Completely monotone), and very un-engaging. I had the opportunity to ask questions towards the end, to which interviewer responded accordingly and satisfactorily. About a week later I was invited for an in-person interview. However, I declined as I accepted a position for another job I was applying for (hopefully won't come back to haunt me!)

Interview Questions
    • All fairly simple questions: "walk me through your resume"; "describe a situation where things didn't go as planned and how did you adjust?"; "how do you keep yourself organized?"   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Applied through college recruiting website, had a first round phone interview scheduled pretty quickly. The interviewer was great to talk to and didn't ask many hard questions. Most of which have already been posted here: why did you you choose your college, what would you change about it if you could, walk me through your resume, etc. The ABC website is a pretty good source to get information about the culture of the company. I loved in particular their service initiative. Got an invite to do a final round in DC, so still waiting on that.

Interview Questions
    • What advice would you give your college administration?   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

One phone interview, two days of interviews- 30 minute interview rounds with potential managers. I had 5 rounds each day, but they ask the same or very similar questions, so it is not difficult. You will find that the managers interviewing you use very similar jargon, specific words, etc. If you pick up on this, find a way to incorporate their lingo into your language. It will make you seem like you are an even better fit for their department/team.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic. They ask you how you prioritize your day, how you handle multiple tasks, give examples of a time you had to deal with an unhappy client, etc. You know it is going well when they ask you what you like to do in your spare time, plans for the weekend, etc!   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Very streamlined process. My resume was submitted to HR through a friend's referral. Within two weeks, HR contacted me for a phone interview. Within another two weeks, I had an in-person interview that consisted of speaking with two practice managers and an executive director (3 hours) as well as a one-hour writing test.

Interview Questions
    Upon pushing back at their initial offer, they increased the base by 5% and offered a starting bonus.

Healthcare Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Recruiter contacted me for an initial phone interview within a few days of submitting resume. Pretty basic stuff. Another recruiter followed up asking to schedule an interview in person. Then I didn't hear from her for weeks despite my repeated e-mails. Finally set up a date, then they cancelled the day before. Set up another date, first interview was via Skype and barely worked. Second interview was in person and he barely asked me any questions at all. That was a month and a half ago; no contact since.

At the very least if you go for an in person interview it seems like they should have the decency to write a brief e-mail saying "thanks for coming in, we're not interested." Not at ABC. So that should give you an indication of how this company functions and how they view people.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board in September 2014.

Initially applied for another position but after the phone interview was interviewed for the Director postion. The phone interview with one of the Directors was very pleasant, the in person interview was pale to start with. It seemed like the interview was forced to do the interviews. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment, which didn't seem like a coincidence to me.
    Highly unimpressive.

Interview Questions
    • the interview itself wasn't difficult, the interviewer least interested could be because it was Monday morning. One of the interviewers cancelled at the last moment. I'm not sure if that was on purpose because the first one had reservations. Either way, I think it's unprofessional and I haven't heard anything back as far as rescheduling the interview goes.
      My gut feeling is, that is not happening, but as a common courtesy, I would have appreciated least an email saying "We are pursuing other candidates".
      It's a little demeaning the way they treat candidates also shows that they have no respect for other people's time.

This has left a bad taste to me and would definitely not feel confident about working in a place that is not professional enough.
        Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Advisory Board.

Applied online. Got an email from the recruiter after 3-4 weeks of applying. Had a normal screening round with the Recruiter. She seemed to typing everything down, but went well. All they want to hear is that you know SQL.
    I got the response within 4-5 days for the next round. That round was with an Associate Director. He asked me general background questions. SQL questions based on my resume projects. He was very happy with the SQL query and explanations. Got the third round confirmation the same evening.
    Last round had 1 3:1 and 3 1:1 interviews. All are based on background, mainly SQL. They make you draw stuff on white board and explain constraints or data modelling. There is a behavioral round in between. They focus on 3 main aspects - Technology, Project Management and Client/Customer Management. So be prepared to relate your work in those lines.

Interview Questions
    • IF there are 2 clients which have an issue, there is absolutely no way you can solve the issues, what will you do   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Associate Interview

I applied online through their website and got an email asking for an interview. I interviewed with them a couple of days later. The interviewer was pretty nice. It was a pretty standard question and answer interview which didn't really leave much for your personality to come through. Took the entire 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • What about your school administration would you change?   Answer Question

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!