AMD Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at AMD in March 2010.

All communications were through email; from sending in my resume, to setting up the interview. The only phone call I had was when the offer was made.
    The interview was an all-day affair from 9am to ~4pm; and consisted of interviewing with 4 people. The first was a discussion with the hiring manager which was a smooth discussion discussing grad work and confirming the alignment of my degrees with the expectations of the job.
    Then I had three technical interviews by senior engineers who had no background in my field of study. Each interviewer presented some general problem solving questions; nothing difficult, but nothing that can be prepared for. I was given a tour of the office and met with a couple of people that I would be working with.
    As it was my first job, the process seemed normal; however, in hindsight there are a couple of red flags that I should have seen. If I were to experience any of these again, I would never accept a position with the company.
    Red Flag 1. I drove 3 hours for the interview and there was never any mention of reimbursement for gas or mileage. It's the only interview I've had where I've never been reimbursed for travel.
    Red Flag 2. I was on my own for lunch. Not only did they not buy me lunch, they didn't even accompany me as part of a personality interview. I was just cut loose for an hour. Again, the only interview I've had where this has happened.
    Red Flag 3. I was never given the opportunity to ask questions. I was grilled for 4 hours and never had a chance to ask anything! Each technical interview ended when the next interviewer interrupted, or the last guy realized his time was up. It speaks volumes to how a company values prospective employees when they don't give the interviewee a chance to do some digging.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question had to do with expected range of a voltage divider given component tolerances, as well as the distribution of tolerances and resulting distribution of output voltage.   Answer Question
    It was my first job out of school and the salary offer was in my expected range. I requested moving assistance and it was provided.

Intern Interview

Asked basic behavioural questions. Phone interview, then in person interview. In addition asked some technical questions regarding circuits and basic understanding of theory. No unexpected trick questions. Should prepare for interview by reading up on textbooks or literature.

GFX Diagnostics and Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at AMD in May 2012.

Given a string, reverse it and convert it to uppercase. Given a 32 bit integer pointer, copy the contents into a 64 bit pointer and sign extend the upper half.

Interview Questions
    • At the time, I wasn't very confident with my coding skills so I found the second question hard but they were very nice and accepted me even though I messed that up.   Answer Question
    It was through the University of Toronto and they offered very good pay for an intern

Computer/Electrical Engineer - 16 Months Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AMD.

I received an email from the hiring manager in a week from my application. He informed me that he would call me to set up an interview. After the phone call, I lost the opportunity of an one-in-one interview. Later, I was selected for an on-campus interview during their interview extension. I was interviewed for about an hour by two engineers. They went through my resume and asked me to write a short "test", which covers basic questions for Verilog, C and C++.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect a "test" for the technical questions. Since I did not prepare for software questions, I did not give the correct answer for the C programming questions. I was asked about data structure and time optimization.   Answer Question

Customer Engineer Interview

Send resume to HR and waiting for call.

Analog Design Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at AMD.

Got a phone interview. Lasted for around 20 mins. Never got any reply from them.

Hardware Qualification Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at AMD in November 2013.

Was interviewed at my school for the internship program

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer pulled out a motherboard and asked me to name all parts and briefly describe their function.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff ASIC/Layout Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at AMD in August 2013.

It was an internal transfer. I was referred by a person in the group. I have had the opportunity to work with that team for over 4 years and they were familiar with me and it made the process more smooth. Hiring manager talked to me first for half hour to understand my interest, education, and skills. The manager was very positive and scheduled a technical interview with his experienced team members. It was a panel of 3. The questions were in the digital area, some Verilog and programming.

Interview Questions
    • Explain CDC and how can it be addressed?   View Answer
    I was satisfied by what I was offered.

Custom Mixed-Signal Layout Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at AMD in June 2013.

Applied online, took about a month to get contacted directly by the manager. Scheduled a phone interview. Got an email back within 5 minutes of completing the interview for an in person interview about 2 weeks after. Had an in person interview, which lasted 2 hours. Had to answer alot of technical questions as well as write a 30 minute aptitude test.

Never got a call/reply/response back after this. Terrible attitude towards applicants.

HRBP Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at AMD in January 2010.

Was contacted by recruiter, given a phone interview. Later called back to schedule a personal interview. Had four in person interviews. All interviews were excellent. Interviewers came prepared and provided valuable insights and feedback on the role and the organization. I felt the company handled the process very well.

Interview Questions
    • How can a technology organization expand its global footprint and remain agile and focused on a common mandate?   Answer Question
    It felt slightly longer than expected.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!