ALDI Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep, 2014
Updated 25 Sep, 2014

2.8

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denton, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Series of interviews which starts with an on campus dinner. After on campus interviews they select a few to come for final round interviews. Final round of interviews consists of 3 short interviews with VPs and former District Managers. Interviews are pretty straightforward, they just want to see who can handle the loads of pressure from this job.

Interview Questions

This job seems to pay well, but for the time and effort this job does not compensate workers well at all. Several older classmates had taken this job and had quit before the end of the first year. They try to bait you in with a "high" salary, but I ended up taking another job that requires much less time and effort with similar pay. Stay away from ALDI, don't be fooled by the compensation package. Use this offer to leverage another offer and decline ALDI.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in July 2014.

Applied in June 2014 in person, I printed out an application and brought it in with my resume. I walked around the supermarket for a while and observed the workers for a bit just to get a sense of the environment and where I could possibly be working. I talked to the supervisor about the job and responsibilities as well as another employee about the hours and if my application looks good to turn in. I got called in for an interview about 3 week later which was held in the supermarket. It was a 2:1 interview with the district manager and an intern from a college.
    The interview process went better then expected it didn't feel like an interview more like a conversation every time I got the chance I threw some questions in there or gave little comments about things that were said to me to let them know I am paying attention. They started off the interview by saying they are not looking for the perfect person just a perfect fit in the store. I brought a little notebook and pencil that I had on my lap during the interview. The day before I researched some of their interview questions and wrote them down with the answers in the back of the book just in case and I also listed about 10 questions I wanted to ask which was good because during the interview some of them were answered but I still had something to work with. While they where looking at my resume I gave them an updated version including work and academic programs I participated in. In total it took about 30 minutes and they showed some interest in my School and major/minor and what I want to do with it, I would say interaction is really important they should not be the only ones talking and every answer should have an explanation so they can continue to see who you really are.
    They said to give them a week to call back and if I get called for another interview they would have scenarios for me and a general run down of what they would want me to do and how they expect to act.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you had to deal with a difficult person?   View Answer
    • With your major, what do you see yourself doing or what do you want to do with it?   View Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   View Answer
    • If we were to call your last employer what would they say about you? What would they rate your performance?   View Answer

Area Manager Interview

Group Interview, Meeting an existing area manager in store, personality assessment, final interview with director.

Found initial 3 stages fine as a competitive background in sport creates a great base for demonstrating determination and commitment. Waiting on final interview.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

One phone interview, one face to face interview, an entire day interview, one final interview with hiring manager. I only made it to the face to face interview. The VP of the District Managers was easy to talk to, although he did ask hard questions. He seemed to judge me from the get-go.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in the grocery industry?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leamington, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leamington, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Group interview - Meet with the Operations Director. You are first given a Math Test. The math test is basic arithmetic. The group is then broken into teams and given a topic to discuss, debate and reach a conclusion on. The team then appoint a spokesperson. to give feedback. The Operations Director watches how the team interact and who contributes to the debate.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI in June 2014.

Background: I'm a 25 year-old single woman with years of work experience in physical jobs, and administrative support roles. I relocated to Memphis to finish school, and I just wanted a part-time job for spending money.

I went to an Aldi Hiring event at one of the locations. Be sure to fill out an application in advance, and get there early because the line was out of the door when I left. One of the hiring managers just asked a few basic questions about our abilities and availability before taking our applications and advising that she would call.

I received a call that afternoon to come in for an interview the following week. The interview consisted of routine questions, and it placed a lot of emphasis on the amount of physical work associated with the position. I explained that I had UPS experience, so it wouldn't be an issue, but they kept harping on the physical demands. She actually said "Picture the hardest, most physically demanding job you have ever had, and multiply it by 10." That is NOT how you should sell a job. It was almost like they were purposely trying to turn me away from it.

A day after that interview, I was called in to meet with the regional manager at a store on the opposite side of town. He was very rushed and distracted during the interview, and asked if I thought I could handle the physical requirements. They were the exact same questions that I answered in the previous interview. I felt like I wasted my time and my gas mileage by going there, and I left the interview not caring if I received an offer or not.

I didn't receive an offer, and I think it may be due to the fact that I look over-qualified on paper. I wouldn't know since they didn't have the decency to call.

Interview Questions
    • "Assume that I asked you to set up a display, and you did it wrong. I tell you that you have done it wrong, so you will have to do it over. I come back, and its still wrong. What would you do?"   View Answer

Purchasing Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ALDI.

They make it clear in the interview that you will never grow in the company and will have to be satisfied where you are at and they make it clear they do not want to have to hire for the position again so you better be prepared to stick around. They also made it clear there is no real culture or 'fun' to be had and how serious the office environment was. While I completely understand hard work, I think companies thrive when there is a mix of both so I was shocked at how forward they were with this information. I consider some of what they said to be severe drawbacks to a corporate company...however, some may see that as a good thing. It was a great learning experience with regards to the structure of ALDI...but not a company I could see most people wanting to be apart of if they would like to grow in their careers. Definitely not for me.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you came into an environment where you had to learn your new job but everyone was too busy to help you?   View Answer

Store Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

I attended a store hiring event, was called about two weeks later for an over the phone interview and was asked at the end of the call for a face to face interview a week or two later. Face to face interview with a District Manager lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • would you be willing to take an offer of a lower position if the position of store manager trainee was not offered to you?   View Answer

Store Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ALDI.

Showed up to the hiring event. People showed up in jeans and I'm assuming they didn't get called back for a second interview. I went to a group interview the same day for a really easy interview and a tour around the store. Got called back a few days later to come in and have an interview with the store manager and I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if the store was out of strawberries and a customer wanted some?   View Answers (2)

District Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at ALDI.

Applied through University Career Site, got an on-campus interview. It took about 30 minutes, questions were mostly general ones like, weakness/strengths, why should we hire you. One on one interview, recruiter was very polite and patient but hurried to finished right after we passed the 25 minute mark.