ADP

Getting the Interview

27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ADP.

Interview Details The interview process with ADP was very long. I had a first interview in December and finished the process in March. The hiring manager told me on my last interview that he was going to hire me. I had not heard from the company in over a month even though I had contacted them multiple times. I finally heard from the recruiter and was told they wanted to hire me for an internship. I found this insulting because I was told many times that I was the perfect candidate for the job from multiple people I interviewed with. I always had to contact the recruiter or the hiring manager myself after an interview. I felt like the whole process was very unorganized and really turned me off from the company.

Interview Question – A lot of behavioral questions. Tell me a time when you were patient? Tell me a time when you were persistent? etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at ADP

Interview Details Went through four interviews. First, the recruiter interviewed me, then a virtual interview, then a meeting with the VP and a interview with sales associates.

Interview Question – Tell me something that is not here on your resume.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ADP in November 2013.

Interview Details I was initially contacted by a recruiter after submitting a resume and cover letter. We set up a phone interview. The recruiter was engaging, asked solid / typical interview questions, and was an all around pleasant experience. From there, I was set up to have an in person interview with the hiring Manager / VP of the office.

Here is where things began to change. I drove 3 hours for this interview, which was fine. I am looking to relocate so I should expect that. I told the recruiter where I lived and had all my current addresses on the material I sent in (Resume, Cover Letter, etc...). I am told immediately when I meet the manager that it will be a brief interview, so don't be worried. Ok, fine, I understand they have busy jobs. Short, brief, and to the point. Sounds good to me.

However, during the course of the 15 minute interview. I am asked really only three questions 1) Tell me about this on your resume 2) Explain how this relates to ADP and what we do 3) rank these 4 terms ( listening, closing, etc...) in order of importance. I understand this is for a sales position so I ran with it. I interjected as much info as I could, expanded with specific examples from my experience, and sold myself. There is only so much you can do without being asked specific questions.

To say the least, I was very disappointed with the interview. I was not asked any behavioral questions like it stated I would be in the preceding email. In addition, the lack of enthusiasm in the interview for a company that thrives and wants "high energy" was saddening. My phone interview was longer, more in depth, and more engaging. I was expecting nothing less then that from an in person interview.

I sent a follow-up email thanking them for their time and that I looked forward to hearing back from then and so on. A few days later I got a generic response from an office email saying they were going a different direction ( though at this time it didn't really matter as I had decided they weren't a company I wanted to work for anyway). But the lack of professionalism to respond to my direct email to the manager I met with was shocking. Surely, I figured, when you get down to a round of interviews with less then 10 candidates they have the time and decency to respond directly. Unfortunately, I was proven wrong. I still think ADP is a good company overall, but the culture and atmosphere certainly seem to change depending on the office.

Interview Question – Not enough questions   Answer Question

Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at ADP in September 2013.

Interview Details I applied online through LinkedIn and was contacted by a recruiter later that day. She set up a phone call with me to talk more about the position. It was more of a phone screening/interview where she asked basic questions about my resume, background and "what motivates me." At the end she recommended I have an interview with the RVP the next week. She sent me an email confirmation with the time and tips for the interview- Don't ignore these because they do take them seriously!
When I arrived at the office there was no front desk- which threw me off! I had to call the rvp's assistant on the phone using a list they had out front. The RVP met me in the lobby to bring me back to his office. He was super friendly and outgoing- easy to talk to but a little overwhelming if you're not expecting that! He asked me more basics- "Tell me about your background," "What motivates you," "Tell me about a time when you had to overcome adversity." At the end, make sure you bring out your written down questions to ask. He literally told me he was looking for them after I had pulled them out. In the end I walked away knowing that I hadn't answered the questions the best way possible.
Though I didn't do it- a contact at the company told me that if I really wanted the job I should be professionally persistent. Call back the next day to tell the RVP I really wanted the job and thought I would do well. Call back the day after that to say the same thing etc. I did not follow his advice soon enough and was emailed a generic "thank you for applying" email.
Overall a really great, respectable company and a great experience with the interview, but you have to really be on your A game and want it!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you have to overcome adversity.   Answer Question

Novato, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at ADP in July 2013.

Interview Details The process was very quick. I applied online and got an email the next day requesting a time for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about half an hour. The questions themselves were expected questions such as "Tell us about your work history", "Why do you want to work for ADP", etc. I then received an email at the end of the week with brief feedback and that they had chosen to move on with another candidate.

Pleasanton, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ADP.

Interview Details Do not go to this interview if you are a recent graduate. I made the trip to interview for an outside sales position. The person I was supposed to meet with was not able to because she was in a meeting. I spent only fifteen minutes with another person as they told me they do not hire recent graduates. I was not given the opportunity to explain my qualifications, as I did have sales experience. I was also not asked any interview questions. I was very disappointed and thought the whole process was very unprofessional. Save your time and money.

Interview Question – None, because I was not asked any.   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ADP in April 2013.

Interview Details Applied online through a mutual friend of the company and got an interview right away. it was a very laid back interview but had to focus on selling me. A lot of standard interview questions, no curveballs.

Interview Question – Sell me on you!   Answer Question

Richmond, VA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at ADP in April 2013.

Interview Details Applied through linkedin. Performed a phone interview with someone in HR, and was directed to fill out an application online. It was for the small business, new business development position. A couple of days later I was contacted by the HR rep and scheduled an interview at their office in Richmond, VA. I interviewed with the VP of sales of Virginia. The interview involved your basic Why Sales? Why ADP? What do you know about the position? What is an example of overcoming adversity from your life? How do you feel about cold calling? How would you open up a sales conversation?

I was not offered the position because I did not have sufficient prospecting experience (as in I'm a B.A. with no sales experience). Or maybe they just said that as an excuse because I might not have appeared as enthusiastic as they would have liked. I tried my best.

Interview Questions

• I am going to give you four skills and you will number them from 1 - 4 in terms of importance: organization, listening skills, product knowledge, closing.   Answer Question
  • What is the best criticism that you have ever received from an employer?   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative
Parsippany, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ADP in June 2012.

Interview Details Applied via ADP's website then had an ADP employee refer me, email confirmation a couple weeks later, ADP sales administrator called me to discuss resume and to set up time with one on one interview with sales director, sales director in person interview, group interview in person with multiple sales directors. The in person interview went well, but they wanted someone more aggressive and experience with a quota requirement sales position. According to the sales director I was to meet again for a ride along and final interview, but I was notified via email that ADP will not be moving forward with my employment.

Interview Questions

Outside Sales Representative
Irvine, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ADP in December 2009.

Interview Details I applied online and a recruiter called me back within a couple days to hold a phone interview on the spot.
From there she passed me along to an interview with the regional VP and then I had a field ride with one of the outside sales reps with a role play with one of the sales executives immediately after. The final interview was with the regional VP again and they made me an offer within a couple days.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had to overcome an obstacle.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at ADP

Worked for ADP? Contribute to the Community!

ADP Videos

ADP – Why Work for Us?

Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ADP), with about $11 billion in revenues and about 620,000 clients, is one of the world's largest providers of business outsourcing solutions. Leveraging over 60 years of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ADP Outside Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by ADP employees and interview candidates.