3M

Updated 18 Feb, 2015
Updated 18 Feb, 2015

2.7

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 3M in June 2014.

I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

There was no negotiation

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Technical Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in May 2014.

Applied online, received phone call ~15 minutes of basic experience questions. Onsite interview that lasted about 3 hours mostly showing around/lab walk through followed by session of detailed questions about resume and some hypothetical problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, just be ready for some problem solving and know your own resume backwards and forwards. There were some basic social interaction questions as well such as "How do you work with other people when you encounter a disagreement..."   View Answer

Better offer from another company and they took too long. Total process from online submission to offer took ~2 months. Great group of people and great company, it was hard to turn down but money talks. The offer is also contingent upon drug screen and background check to be completed within 72 hours of offer acceptance.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

The interview was mainly about the research I have been doing in my home university.

Technical Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Phone interview and then All day interview: Give a 45 minute presentation to a group of 10 people, interview individually with marketing manager, supervisor, department manager, lab manager, director, and clinical supervisor; interview with a group/panel interview (4-7 people who will be your co-workers)

Interview Questions
    • If you were able to invent something to make your life easier or the patient's life easier what would it be?   View Answer
    they have a salary range that they are allowed to offer; they will offer at the lower end of that range so ask to increase the salary.

Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Found the graduate scheme on Gradcracker and applied online by sending CV and Cover Letter and also answering questions such as why 3M?
    Then i had to complete verbal reasoning and numerical tests.

Was emailed a few weeks later to confirm a telephone interview. Telephone interview was 30 minutes long and was competency based (they usually tell you what competencies you will assessed on).
    The interview started of with questions such as: where did you hear about the role? what course are you studying and why? which university and why? why do you want to work for 3M and why this specific role?..and then moved on to the competency questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asking about why i went to the university i went to was unexpected.   Answer Question

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

I was contacted for a 15 minute phone interview. At the end of this interview I was invited for an interview at the St. Paul campus. The interview was very laid back and friendly. I spoke with the hiring manager one on one for about 30 minutes mainly talking about my interests and strengths. I met for a group interview with about 6 people and presented some of my past work. At the end of the interview I was offered the job after the group had discussed in private.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a few detailed questions about the projects I presented (computer code syntax, design choices, etc.)   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation phase for a tech aide position at 3M. Don't try to negotiate.

Tech Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at 3M in April 2014.

Didn't contact me until about a month after I applied. However, once they contacted me the interview process was very quick. Had an interview about 1 week after contact, and was given an offer the same day as the interview. Interview was fairly typical and not too challenging, about 30 mins total. It was a bit intimidating with 3 employees in the room interviewing me but they were very friendly and made me feel comfortable. Mostly asked questions about resume info - are you planning on going to grad school, why did you choose your area of study, what is your biggest accomplishment, previous employment info, etc. Did ask 1 technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a technical question about a problem one of the researchers was working on - researcher was taking images of a 2D array of plastic wells, but in the images the wells were not all oriented exactly the same way. Wanted to know how to create a program to rotate the images so that the wells were all oriented the same way (ie normal to the axes), so that they could be analyzed. There was no "right" answer per se, just wanted to get my thoughts.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in April 2014.

3 parts to the interview: 1. Came in and asked me a question about why a 4 bedroom apartment cost less than a 3 bedroom apartment with the same SF in both. 2. Gave me a series of math questions, all of which could be done in your head, just how quickly you could rifle them off, was the goal. 3. Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jaipur, Rajasthan (India)

Basic Interview. General questions asked related to the profile offered. As the profile was related to market research i was asked questions on same and also I was briefed about what exactly the profile and work was and how was I supposed to accomplish it..