3M Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct, 2014
Updated 22 Oct, 2014

2.7

Coordenador De Projetos Sociais Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumaré, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumaré, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in January 2014.

I submitted my resumé through a person referral from within the company and went through two interviews. The first one was a brief phone conversation with a person from HR about my work experience. Then I invited for a second interview, in person, with the same person from HR and the hiring manager. For the second interview I was asked to prepare a 4 slides presentation of a social project proposal I was to create, pretending I would present it to high-level management in the company. I had one day to prepare and spent about five hours in it. I believe my presentation went well and it was a strong point on my behalf, altough I didn't get the job. To invent the project and prepare the presentation, I spent one the five hours I had doing research on the company's website. From the whole process, I gather I didn't get the job not for technical reasons, but for not being a very conventional-company-like person.

Overall, the process was very good: transparent, straight-forward and respectful. The interview itself demanded some preparation, but people were nice, facilities were welcoming and the conversation was professional and with no surprises or odd demands.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to make the last slide of the presentation to be a personal presentation. Talking about myself was the hardest part of the process.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

Behavioral interviews,

No real negotiation

Sales Interview

Interview process involved one face to face interview for this internship. The interview was largely casual conversations regarding skills and attributes.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose science degree with expectation to enter sales field   Answer Question

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Had a 60 min on-campus interview in September, a 30 min phone interview in October, and a day long on-site interview in November. Whole process took less than 2 months from initial contact to offer. Full day interview consisted of an hour seminar followed by 7 30 min individual interviews, lunch, and a site tour.

Interview Questions
    • If I contacted your current supervisor, what would they say your biggest weakness was?   Answer Question

Accepted a position that is closer to my family.

Researcher Interview

On site series of interviews, with a job talk, done at the same time as a larger group of potential new employees. Very pleasant, positive environment, not hostile or competitive. People seemed to really enjoy working there, and there was a lot of longevity/mobility within the company. Would highly recommend interviewing here to someone interested in scientific research in the twin cities area.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in December 2013.

Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

Product Development Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at 3M.

I was called in for a Rapid Recruiting Event. The event was planned for 3 days. There were interviews, company tours, dinners with managers and other employees. The interview part consisted of a 45 minute presentation and 45 minute interviews with each team member. The interviews had behavioral type questions in a casual atmosphere. Nothing unexpected or challenging.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider as your most significant achievement?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Networked with internal contacts and monitored website for suitable opportunities. Interview for one position led to informational interview with a hiring manager with a more suitable business area. After a few months, a more appropriate position was posted; applied for that online. Screened by HR rep and then interviewed with hiring manager, director and VP.

Interview Questions
    Structured and fair. Salary ranges for each position are enforced. Paid time off was somewhat negotiable based on years of experience.

SBD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

1st round interview : two business cases
    2nd round interview: about 6 short business cases
    Final round with the Regional VP

O2 Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 3M in November 2013.

One fly-out interview broken into three segments, two behavioral interviews and one tour. Very straight forward and traditional. 90% "Tell us about a time..." questions. One major idea that we kept on touching on was time management and tools for productivity. Most everyone was very "engineering-esque" if that makes sense. All were welcoming and amicable. Can't complain.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you made the wrong choice, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question
    Was told by multiple others that 3M does not negotiate on entry-level positions so I didn't try.