3M Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct, 2014
Updated 16 Oct, 2014

2.7

Sales Interview

Interview process involved one face to face interview for this internship. The interview was largely casual conversations regarding skills and attributes.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose science degree with expectation to enter sales field   Answer Question

Senior Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Had a 60 min on-campus interview in September, a 30 min phone interview in October, and a day long on-site interview in November. Whole process took less than 2 months from initial contact to offer. Full day interview consisted of an hour seminar followed by 7 30 min individual interviews, lunch, and a site tour.

Interview Questions
    • If I contacted your current supervisor, what would they say your biggest weakness was?   Answer Question

Accepted a position that is closer to my family.

Researcher Interview

On site series of interviews, with a job talk, done at the same time as a larger group of potential new employees. Very pleasant, positive environment, not hostile or competitive. People seemed to really enjoy working there, and there was a lot of longevity/mobility within the company. Would highly recommend interviewing here to someone interested in scientific research in the twin cities area.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in December 2013.

Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

Product Development Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at 3M.

I was called in for a Rapid Recruiting Event. The event was planned for 3 days. There were interviews, company tours, dinners with managers and other employees. The interview part consisted of a 45 minute presentation and 45 minute interviews with each team member. The interviews had behavioral type questions in a casual atmosphere. Nothing unexpected or challenging.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider as your most significant achievement?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

Networked with internal contacts and monitored website for suitable opportunities. Interview for one position led to informational interview with a hiring manager with a more suitable business area. After a few months, a more appropriate position was posted; applied for that online. Screened by HR rep and then interviewed with hiring manager, director and VP.

Interview Questions
    Structured and fair. Salary ranges for each position are enforced. Paid time off was somewhat negotiable based on years of experience.

SBD Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

1st round interview : two business cases
    2nd round interview: about 6 short business cases
    Final round with the Regional VP

O2 Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 3M in November 2013.

One fly-out interview broken into three segments, two behavioral interviews and one tour. Very straight forward and traditional. 90% "Tell us about a time..." questions. One major idea that we kept on touching on was time management and tools for productivity. Most everyone was very "engineering-esque" if that makes sense. All were welcoming and amicable. Can't complain.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you made the wrong choice, and what did you do about it.   Answer Question
    Was told by multiple others that 3M does not negotiate on entry-level positions so I didn't try.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at 3M in November 2013.

The process is fast paced and was done through a rapid recruiting event. Potential candidates were interviewed by the interested hiring managers and several senior scientists, other managers and by the Director. One has to also give a highly technical talk which was followed by a Q&A session. Overall, I found the experience to be very pleasant and was made to feel very welcoming.

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Interview and hiring process was as basic and informal as can be.
    Research Chemist looked over my resume, and asked several questions regarding my schedule/availability, and knowledge about basic scientific processes.

There wasn't one.