3M Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
209 interviews

2.7

Production Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M.

Long some parts difficult but everything in the testing relates to what the jobs are. Great process

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I was called to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer seemed like she already knew who she was going to give the job to. I sent a thank you letter after interview nonetheless. I sent follow up email after 2 weeks without a response. After a month, I called the interview and got to speak with her after several attempts. I asked for an update and she was like, didn't you get the rejection letter? okay I'll have it sent to you. yup

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any tricky questions. Most of the interview was going through my resume   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort McMurray, AB
    Anonymous Employee in Fort McMurray, AB

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at 3M in February 2009.

I was first contacted by the HR recruiter for 3M Canada and had a 2 hour (not exaggerating) phone interview which was preliminary and went well I felt. Then I had a face to face meeting with one of the Senior Managers and that too went well and lasted in excess of 2 hours. Mostly long term aspirations type of questions. Finally, I was asked to travel to 3M's Canadian corporate office where I was interviewed and taken to lunch over a 6 hour period and was interviewed by 5 different managers. I only heard back from the recruiter after about a week and was told that the first manager who met with me did not feel that I was the right guy for the job. I was surprised (shocked) to hear this as he was the man who obviously said that I was good to pass on to the corporate team at 3M for continued interviews. A way too long process and frustrating dealing with all of the "red tape"

Interview Questions
    • What can you bring to 3M in terms of capabilities?   Answer Question
    • What do you do the first week on the job if you are successful in getting the job?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M in April 2014.

3 parts to the interview: 1. Came in and asked me a question about why a 4 bedroom apartment cost less than a 3 bedroom apartment with the same SF in both. 2. Gave me a series of math questions, all of which could be done in your head, just how quickly you could rifle them off, was the goal. 3. Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Business Model was given you needed to ask as many questions as you could about it to form a business solution toward the problem.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at 3M.

There were 2 interviews. The first was more generic and assess individual strength and weaknesses, expectations, aspirations etc. The second was to pitch a marketing strategy of a specific product.

R&D Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at 3M in November 2013.

Initial communication through a campus recruiter around late November, however, the contact was after the only round of campus interviews in early fall. I had a brief telephone interview over the phone and was quickly offered the position.

The R&D intern pool guarantees you a placement, but you don't actually get a job assignment until later ( Jan - Mar) when the hiring managers contact you to gauge your interest in the various intern positions.

Interview Questions
    Unable to negotiate intern pay, their intern salaries are scaled based on number of previous internships and degree level (bachelors, masters, PhD)

3m Frontline Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at 3M.

Conversation with program head and school specific recruiter, mostly conversational. Talked about interests and career goals to determine fit with the open 3m positions. Not too difficult an interview. 3m is a big company and there are many opportunities, so if you talk about what you are truly interested in, chances are this is something in 3m that fits those interests. Be yourself and be friendly and enthusiastic.

Server Administrator Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in April 2012.

First interview by phone ( I am with a temp agency) with the hiring manager. The second interview was two weeks later with the team members I would be working with. They questioned me about our field of technology, process and documentation ability\willingness. They informed me I received the job because of my personality rather than my technology experience. ( They said some other candidates freaked them out).

Interview Questions
    • Questions about corporate culture. Basically scenario's about how one deals with other co-workers or adversarial customers.   Answer Question
    N/A - Was locked into wage negotiated by contracting company that hired me.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at 3M in May 2014.

After a great phone interview with the hiring manager, the HR manager called and left a message asking me to give them some dates when I may be available for an in-person interview. Within hours I replied with my availability. Days went by - weeks - months - and no call back. For a week or so I continued to give them updates on my availability. I even emailed the hiring manager. Neither was professional enough to even send an email saying "we've moved on to other candidates" or "sorry, our hiring process has been delayed, please hang tight and we'll contact you ASAP". I expected more professionalism from 3M.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult challenge you've faced in your career and what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at 3M.

Just a one on one hour long interview. Interviewers were very friendly. I thought it was very easy. I got the interview through my college and it was very easy.

Interview Questions

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!