3M Interview Questions

Updated 22 Oct, 2014
Updated 22 Oct, 2014

2.7

Production Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 3M.

Long some parts difficult but everything in the testing relates to what the jobs are. Great process

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I was called to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer seemed like she already knew who she was going to give the job to. I sent a thank you letter after interview nonetheless. I sent follow up email after 2 weeks without a response. After a month, I called the interview and got to speak with her after several attempts. I asked for an update and she was like, didn't you get the rejection letter? okay I'll have it sent to you. yup

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any tricky questions. Most of the interview was going through my resume   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort McMurray, AB
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort McMurray, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in February 2009.

I was first contacted by the HR recruiter for 3M Canada and had a 2 hour (not exaggerating) phone interview which was preliminary and went well I felt. Then I had a face to face meeting with one of the Senior Managers and that too went well and lasted in excess of 2 hours. Mostly long term aspirations type of questions. Finally, I was asked to travel to 3M's Canadian corporate office where I was interviewed and taken to lunch over a 6 hour period and was interviewed by 5 different managers. I only heard back from the recruiter after about a week and was told that the first manager who met with me did not feel that I was the right guy for the job. I was surprised (shocked) to hear this as he was the man who obviously said that I was good to pass on to the corporate team at 3M for continued interviews. A way too long process and frustrating dealing with all of the "red tape"

Interview Questions
    • What can you bring to 3M in terms of capabilities?   Answer Question
    • What do you do the first week on the job if you are successful in getting the job?   Answer Question

Strategic Business Development Supervisor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

First round on campus, 45 minute interview.
    5 minutes of introducing yourself and walk through your resume, why 3M.

30 minutes on a very interesting case. (1) given a slide describing some properties of a new material that 3M invented. Brainstorm and come up with ideas on products that could use this new material. (2) Given a use for this new material and talk about how you would price this new product. Basically cost plus, comparables and value to customers methods. Also what are the pros and cons of each method. (3) given some information on comparables in the market and how do you price this? (4) size the market for this material and what's the potential financial benefits, talk about doing some NPV calculations. (5) if you were a marketing manager for this new product, describe your go to market strategy.

10 minutes to ask some questions. Also interviewer asked (1) do you need visa sponsorship and (2) how would you decide between offers, what criteria would you consider to make that decision.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Two back to back half hour interviews, on campus recruiting with an info session the night before. It was mostly behavioral questions and a few technical ones about the financial statements. Asked a lot about decisions I have made in the past and the process I used to make them. Also asked about current financial events.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Met them at career fair and got a phone call the next day. It was a 30 min interview that dealt with basic questions ranging from why I wanted to join 3M to what I could contribute. Also, they asked me what I knew about the position. I was even asked how I dealt with a conflict.

Chemical Engineer Interview

I got a campus interview when I was in graduate school. But I only have a master degree, I feel like they much more prefer to hire PHD students. A lot of questions about previous researches and it would help a lot if you have publications

Research Scientist Interview

On campus interview, met for one hour with a recruiter. Usually a pre-requisite before rapid recruiting on site. Recruiter described interview process pretty well, and explained different positions. Then we talked about research for a bit, and ended with some questions for them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you were able to obtain buy-in from others.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

Standard interview process. Met with roughly 4 3M employees. Ranging form Management, to sales trainers. Asked typical interview questions. Have 30/60/90 day plan ready. Dress formal. Be ready for a long day of interviews. They will give you 10-15 mins in between rounds. Bring note pad. It's helpful to take notes.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at 3M in September 2014.

quite easy going, technical questions were asked too. Felt at ease, although it's apparent the interns would not get a specific experience. Other wise it was fairly relaxed. Oddly, not much was asked about my background; only a few technical questions were asked, and the remainder of the time focused on describing the position and the department.