3M

Updated 18 Feb, 2015
Updated 18 Feb, 2015

2.7

Production Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 3M.

Long some parts difficult but everything in the testing relates to what the jobs are. Great process

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I was called to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer seemed like she already knew who she was going to give the job to. I sent a thank you letter after interview nonetheless. I sent follow up email after 2 weeks without a response. After a month, I called the interview and got to speak with her after several attempts. I asked for an update and she was like, didn't you get the rejection letter? okay I'll have it sent to you. yup

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any tricky questions. Most of the interview was going through my resume   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort McMurray, AB
    Anonymous Employee in Fort McMurray, AB

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at 3M in February 2009.

I was first contacted by the HR recruiter for 3M Canada and had a 2 hour (not exaggerating) phone interview which was preliminary and went well I felt. Then I had a face to face meeting with one of the Senior Managers and that too went well and lasted in excess of 2 hours. Mostly long term aspirations type of questions. Finally, I was asked to travel to 3M's Canadian corporate office where I was interviewed and taken to lunch over a 6 hour period and was interviewed by 5 different managers. I only heard back from the recruiter after about a week and was told that the first manager who met with me did not feel that I was the right guy for the job. I was surprised (shocked) to hear this as he was the man who obviously said that I was good to pass on to the corporate team at 3M for continued interviews. A way too long process and frustrating dealing with all of the "red tape"

Interview Questions
    • What can you bring to 3M in terms of capabilities?   Answer Question
    • What do you do the first week on the job if you are successful in getting the job?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at 3M.

I talked to a recruiter at a college job fair and had a very easy and short behavioral interview the next day. I was told to apply online, which I did, and I didn't hear anything for almost 5 months. I had a short phone interview that mostly just went over my resume and my skills. I was offered an internship 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your programming experience and projects you've worked on.   Answer Question

R&D Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at 3M.

long. recruiter took a long time to respond to emails and such. I had to email him to get any idea of what the next step in the hiring process was. apply --> phone call --> emails --> no offer

Interview Questions
    • walk me through your resume? what are your plans for the future? what do you know about 3M?   Answer Question

O2 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at 3M in February 2015.

Typical 30 minute phone interview, asked questions about resume and past work experience. It was very similar in questioning to other interviews. Lady who did the interviewing was very nice and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • How does your past work experience relate to this position?   Answer Question

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at 3M in February 2015.

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager in one of their staff scientist. They then invited me for an on site interview which started with a presentation followed by several individual interviews. the interviews were pretty simple and that there is not a great deal of behavioral or technical questions a lot of it was just conversation about what I had done or was living in the greater Minneapolis area is like. they also asked me about my hobbies. I would say that it was a very inviting experience and that the company is extremely impressive.

Interview Questions
    • describe your collaborations

do you have any problem initiating collaborations

what makes a good innovator/inventor

what are some problems you think you would encounter during your transition

who is an innovating inspiration for you and why

describe an "aha moment" you had and the impact of that

what skill sets would you bring to the table and what about them separates you from others

Answer Question

Engineering Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at 3M.

Hit it off with a rep at a national career fair. The rep and i discussed medical devices and she passed me onto another rep. This next rep signed me up for an interview with the 02 Intern program, which I had not properly read up on. Interview was to take place a few hours later, and I had another interview before it that I was prepping for, so I neglected to read much about 3M's 02 intern program.

My interviewer was admittedly cranky because she hadn't eaten lunch. She was abrupt and unpleasant. She stopped me mid-interview to tell me that I should have read up better on the position she was interviewing for. It was not a fun interview. Largely my own fault. Though I never want to interview with anyone with this woman's disposition again, even if I am properly prepared and qualified.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at 3M.

I applied online. After a few days, I received a phone call, in which I was asked about my expectations and my German language skills. At the end of the conversation, I was invited to an interview and told to prepare for a case study in market research. The interview had 2 parts: the normal interview part in which I was asked about what my motivation (especially with the particular division I applied for) and what I had learned from each job I had had. Then, the case study followed. I was given 20 mins to work on in alone. I had to describe my process going about doing market research for the introduction of a new product. It was also had a math part to be done in Excel. Nothing very difficult. Then the hiring manager came back and I had to present my "results", which was a list of steps and their explanation.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What did you learn from each job you have held in the past?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at 3M.

Very selective process for the Business Development Consultant position. There was a 40 minute case interview. Maybe just 5 minutes dedicated for a walk me through your resume question. The interviewer was very cold and not personable.