3M

202 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Production Interview

Production

I applied through another source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details Long some parts difficult but everything in the testing relates to what the jobs are. Great process

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer

Interviewed at 3M

Interview Details I was called to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer seemed like she already knew who she was going to give the job to. I sent a thank you letter after interview nonetheless. I sent follow up email after 2 weeks without a response. After a month, I called the interview and got to speak with her after several attempts. I asked for an update and she was like, didn't you get the rejection letter? okay I'll have it sent to you. yup

Interview Question – I don't remember any tricky questions. Most of the interview was going through my resume   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Fort McMurray, AB

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at 3M in February 2009.

Interview Details I was first contacted by the HR recruiter for 3M Canada and had a 2 hour (not exaggerating) phone interview which was preliminary and went well I felt. Then I had a face to face meeting with one of the Senior Managers and that too went well and lasted in excess of 2 hours. Mostly long term aspirations type of questions. Finally, I was asked to travel to 3M's Canadian corporate office where I was interviewed and taken to lunch over a 6 hour period and was interviewed by 5 different managers. I only heard back from the recruiter after about a week and was told that the first manager who met with me did not feel that I was the right guy for the job. I was surprised (shocked) to hear this as he was the man who obviously said that I was good to pass on to the corporate team at 3M for continued interviews. A way too long process and frustrating dealing with all of the "red tape"

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to 3M in terms of capabilities?   Answer Question
  • What do you do the first week on the job if you are successful in getting the job?   Answer Question

Engineer, O2 Program Interview

Engineer, O2 Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2013.

Interview Details Interview was pretty standard. Behavioral questions, where do you see yourself in the future, etc. The interviewer was a pretty standard engineer-type person with a Ph.D. and focused a lot on the fact that people build life-long careers at the company (i.e. many stay for 30+ years there). He also focused a lot on describing the company culture.

Interview Question – You really should pursue grad school - why aren't you?   View Answer

Technical Aide Interview

Technical Aide
Maplewood, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2014.

Interview Details I got an email asking if I was still interested in the position and I called as soon as I saw it and set up an interview date. My interview started at 1pm the next day. The guy I will be working under got me from the lobby and right away the interview started. He really didn't ask me any questions but gave me a tour of the machines and I met some people I will be working under too. He told me there was another interview the next day and he'll choose between me and that person. The next day about 4pm he left me a voice mail saying I got the job if I was still interested. I said yes of course. It took forever for the hiring process to complete. I got the job June 26th and I start July 21st.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any interview question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Technical Sales Consultant Interview

Technical Sales Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at 3M in July 2012.

Interview Details Advertisement in major newspaper in Kenya, shortlisting by HR Manager in charge of Sub-Sahara based in 3M South Africa - thus assures unbiased shortlisting based on job fit, Panel Interview with 2 senior managers based in Kenya - 1 a local and the other an expatriate with experience in other places of the world, then background check by HR as well as an intergrity assesment on the potential employee

Interview Question – How do you sell a premium product that is more expensive than other products found in the market?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very discouraging - was initially offered a salary that was less than what I earned. I rejected the offer and asked what I felt I deserved. The HR Manager then made a counter offer which I accepted.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details Contacted by hiring manager via phone who conducted phone interview. Then in-person interview at the location I was working at. Then more in-person interviews at the corp HQ with upper level management.

Interview Question – Questions are behavioral interview type, and structured where everyone is given an interview sheet to ask questions from.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details It was quite honestly a brief strengths and weaknesses assessment. Very basic and general questions that anyone who truly knows themselves can easily come up with. There were questions regarding any obstacles that you had to overcome and how did you overcome them.

Interview Question – None. All were easy and bland.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Regional Manager Interview

Regional Manager
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at 3M in September 2010.

Interview Details Interviewed by robots, reading from script, no common sense, fit square peg into square hole, culture is non existent, run by window watchers and o2 thieves, run do not walk, if you value your career or have prospects for a good one do not consider this company.

Interview Question – Why would you want to be here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None existent

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details Hiring process can take up to three months, including apptitude tests. Went through 2 phone interviews and one face-to-face interview before going to the headquarters for interviews with four senior managers. Then I spent a day in the field with one of the top sales reps.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you turned around a difficult customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a salary lower than i was making stating that the company car was wortha certian amount of money. I was naive enough to accept the lower offer, which I regret to this day. I was too young to know how to negotiate.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!