3M

Getting the Interview

177 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Production Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details Long some parts difficult but everything in the testing relates to what the jobs are. Great process

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer

Interviewed at 3M

Interview Details I was called to schedule a phone interview. Interviewer seemed like she already knew who she was going to give the job to. I sent a thank you letter after interview nonetheless. I sent follow up email after 2 weeks without a response. After a month, I called the interview and got to speak with her after several attempts. I asked for an update and she was like, didn't you get the rejection letter? okay I'll have it sent to you. yup

Interview Question – I don't remember any tricky questions. Most of the interview was going through my resume   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Fort McMurray, AB

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at 3M in February 2009.

Interview Details I was first contacted by the HR recruiter for 3M Canada and had a 2 hour (not exaggerating) phone interview which was preliminary and went well I felt. Then I had a face to face meeting with one of the Senior Managers and that too went well and lasted in excess of 2 hours. Mostly long term aspirations type of questions. Finally, I was asked to travel to 3M's Canadian corporate office where I was interviewed and taken to lunch over a 6 hour period and was interviewed by 5 different managers. I only heard back from the recruiter after about a week and was told that the first manager who met with me did not feel that I was the right guy for the job. I was surprised (shocked) to hear this as he was the man who obviously said that I was good to pass on to the corporate team at 3M for continued interviews. A way too long process and frustrating dealing with all of the "red tape"

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to 3M in terms of capabilities?   Answer Question
  • What do you do the first week on the job if you are successful in getting the job?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineering Graduate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details Found the graduate scheme on Gradcracker and applied online by sending CV and Cover Letter and also answering questions such as why 3M?
Then i had to complete verbal reasoning and numerical tests.

Was emailed a few weeks later to confirm a telephone interview. Telephone interview was 30 minutes long and was competency based (they usually tell you what competencies you will assessed on).
The interview started of with questions such as: where did you hear about the role? what course are you studying and why? which university and why? why do you want to work for 3M and why this specific role?..and then moved on to the competency questions.

Interview Question – Asking about why i went to the university i went to was unexpected.   Answer Question

Laboratory Technical Aide Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in October 2010.

Interview Details My resume was given directly to the hiring manager. This helped TREMENDOUSLY. Would definitely not have gotten the job through the regular HR process.

Senior Applications Development Specialist Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in March 2010.

Interview Details Met future colleague at a conference. Interview was scheduled quickly, was very thorough full day, commitment to making an offer the same day.

Interview Question – A technical/financial question regarding market potential for application of a new product.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was easy, I had the experience and contacts they were needing.

Technical Aide Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M.

Interview Details I was contacted for a 15 minute phone interview. At the end of this interview I was invited for an interview at the St. Paul campus. The interview was very laid back and friendly. I spoke with the hiring manager one on one for about 30 minutes mainly talking about my interests and strengths. I met for a group interview with about 6 people and presented some of my past work. At the end of the interview I was offered the job after the group had discussed in private.

Interview Question – I was asked a few detailed questions about the projects I presented (computer code syntax, design choices, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase for a tech aide position at 3M. Don't try to negotiate.

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at 3M in December 2013.

Interview Details Start with on-campus interview, which was more general and more about spreading the message that 3M does Rapid Recruiting every December (so wait for that). Later got a phone call asking me to apply for the online position starting with "RR" (for Rapid Recruiting), and got the on-site invitation after two days. The on-site interview was very fun, well organized and very impressive. It somewhat feels like a conference since I got to meet other candidates (non-competitive) and listen to their presentations. Got the offer one day after the interview.

Interview Question – What do you see you can contribute to the company, given all the information you have collected? (has to talk about detailed ideas)   Answer Question

Coordenador De Projetos Sociais Interview

Sumaré, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at 3M in January 2014.

Interview Details I submitted my resumé through a person referral from within the company and went through two interviews. The first one was a brief phone conversation with a person from HR about my work experience. Then I invited for a second interview, in person, with the same person from HR and the hiring manager. For the second interview I was asked to prepare a 4 slides presentation of a social project proposal I was to create, pretending I would present it to high-level management in the company. I had one day to prepare and spent about five hours in it. I believe my presentation went well and it was a strong point on my behalf, altough I didn't get the job. To invent the project and prepare the presentation, I spent one the five hours I had doing research on the company's website. From the whole process, I gather I didn't get the job not for technical reasons, but for not being a very conventional-company-like person.

Overall, the process was very good: transparent, straight-forward and respectful. The interview itself demanded some preparation, but people were nice, facilities were welcoming and the conversation was professional and with no surprises or odd demands.

Interview Question – They asked me to make the last slide of the presentation to be a personal presentation. Talking about myself was the hardest part of the process.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at 3M in June 2013.

Interview Details Got called through a third party consulting firm for an initial screening call. Interview went well and then called me for in person.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were pretty straightforward from my resume. There were three interviewers and everyone was polite and friendly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I came in through a third party consulting firm, i would recommend to negotiate everything during the phone screening.

Interviews for Top Jobs at 3M

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!

3M Videos

3M – Why Work for Us?

​​​​About 3M​​ Welcome to a world where your inspired ideas fuel endless progress. At 3M, you’ll help us develop the products that change the way people live and work. And you’ll realize boundless opportunities for your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 3M interview questions and advice. All 177 interview reviews are posted anonymously by 3M employees and interview candidates.